projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
05-12-2007
111 post(s)
If I scroll through the projects list I see most have between 1 and 4 photos. It seems that people are opening up multiple projects that dont seem to be ending any time soon. Would it be a good idea to restrict that number of projects running? Maybe a max of 2 projects open at any time. That would require the system to finally have a place to mark a project closed, which would be great because it would let us know who is done. Also, I think that 1 photo a day is good, but what about allowing 2 photos a day to be posted, the catch being that only one photo per day per PROJECT? So if you have 2 projects going then you would be allowed 2 uploads, an upload per each project, maybe separated by 12 hours. The pace of the site is so slow that this wouldnt change much. It could be reduced when more people join.
05-12-2007
8 post(s)
Some good ideas here, although I might not agree with all of them, I can certainly understand the reasoning behind what you say. I do see the dangers of too many ongoing projects and as of this point there is no doubt in my mind that some have lost their focus in their newfound excitement over joining PH. This being said, I am not sure limiting the number of projects which can be open is the answer. My thinking is that if we do this, we will be forced to put things on the back burner, or perhaps close projects prematurely. I think it is entirely possible that a project might continue on for quite some period. I think I remember you saying that you had a spot in mind near your apartment that you planned on visiting time and time again. This seems like the kind of project that can and should be kept open for a very long period. Personally, I would rather see those photos from you now rather than waiting months for you to wrap things up and start to show us. I think my present smoking series is similar; I have some shots in mind to add to it right now, but I plan on basically always having it on the go. Now, I have also started a project about a protest that is going on right now in Taipei. To me, things are much more interesting to see and read about more or less in real time. This would mean that I can't post anything more. Well, assuming that my smoking project won'tbe closed any time soon, and that I have a dozen (just for the sake of argument) shots from the current protest to post, that kind of leaves me not doing anything new (at least on PH) for at least the next two weeks. Now, say something else happens this weekend in Taipei? If I wait to post that project, I have lost the interest of immediacy that I was speaking of, or I will have had to close a project prematurely. I do realize that there will be a tendency to leave things incomplete if too many projects are left open, but I also so see the danger in allowing too few: I guess there are no easy answers. At least for now, when participation levels are low, I can see some value in allowing two photos a day, if they are part of two projects. It would help with the unfinished aspect some. Realistically, that will have to be scaled back as more people come on board, but for now I think it can work.
05-12-2007
111 post(s)
Hey Darren, wait till tomorrow:) I will start that project tomorrow. I wouldnt say its finished but for the purposes of PH it is. I have 18 photos with a sequence IOm very happy with and the fountain is not operational now in the winter anyway so I will present it to you guys starting with the first upload tomorrow. I understand your reasoning but I think building a series on the fly is dangerous....I know as most my series are still forming. even ones I put up here as finished. The problem with each new photo added to a series is that it often totally changes the sequencing. It would be a nightmare to do it here on PH.