projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
11-03-2011
180 post(s)
I am presently waiting on the 14th floor of the Ricoh building in the Ginza with my Japanese colleagues following a horrifying series of earthquakes earlier this afternoon. The building is pretty new and thus so-called "earthquake proof" but still the two major quakes we had earlier were sickening in their unrelenting intensity. The whole skyscraper was swaying for minutes en end (these were loong tremors), and at times the movement was up and down like some enormous hammer beneath us. Soon all phone lines were choked by traffic and we could not contact our spouses. Trains are still all out of action - the streets outside are apparently full of folks wandering home willy nilly. Taxis are sure to cost a fortune if you can find one. Amazing experience - a building caught fire not far from here. More later. I'm okay and Mrs F too though our flat is apparently turned inside out. More later... Francis
11-03-2011
137 post(s)
Francis, I'm following the story...I'm glad that you and your wife are safe and I'm praying for you guys. Please stay safe.
11-03-2011
180 post(s)
Terrifying buddy. Trains all stopped and I walked for almost 5 hours across town to my apartment surrounded by huge crowds of people, never seen anything like it. Thanks for your thoughts, man.
12-03-2011
44 post(s)
Good to hear that you and Mrs F are fine...don't know what else to say...
12-03-2011
2 post(s)
unbelievable ! good you guys are OK !
12-03-2011
89 post(s)
Great to hear you are doing reasonably well Francis, we are worried. Anyone heard from Shailendra, isn't he in Japan!!!!!
13-03-2011
75 post(s)
Beaucoup de courage amigo. Je pense fort à toi et je suis content de savoir que toi et ta famille vous allez bien.
14-03-2011
180 post(s)
[quote=Homerhomer]Great to hear you are doing reasonably well Francis, we are worried. Anyone heard from Shailendra, isn't he in Japan!!!!![/quote] SHail is fine - we spoke on Saturday. He was separated from his wife and baby for a while due to downed telephone lines, but it turned out fine in the end. Two things are keeping us wearing Pampers right now: the half-lies and blatent contradictions from TEPCO, the power company responsible for the nuclear plant where a second blast just occurred, and the imminent threat of a second nasty earthquake, magnitude 7 or more, predicted over the next couple of days! edited by Furachan on 14/03/2011
14-03-2011
142 post(s)
This is getting pretty alarming !!! I think it's time for you to think about taking a week holidays abroad or two... even Lybia looks better...
17-03-2011
340 post(s)
Donnes nous de tes nouvelles. J'ai pris un billet pour ma soeur qui se trouvait à Tokyo pour la rapatrier. Tokyo semble désert maintenant...
22-03-2011
180 post(s)
Ca va. Tout doucement les gars. Thank you everyone for your concern, but I'm fine really, and so are my poker-faced colleagues ;o) Anything nuclear is a long question mark drawn in smoke. Still the last thing one should lose is one's sense of humor - I recently proposed moving in to the deserted French Embassy - I could impersonate his "Departed Excellency" for a while during his villegiature in safer Osaka or Kyoto - like some mad king. My in-laws live in very cramped quarters and I would really like to live in palatial Western splendor for a few days. I could move from embassy to embassy every other day like that manic young boy in "Empire of the sun." A fatalistic middle aged Japanese colleague of mine said this morning "I don't know whether we are brave or stupid. Maybe all those who fled are the smart ones... My father died at 67 of cancer and I inherited his genes... so be it, that gives me another ten years..." I have never known such times. Destiny is a mean and perverted bitch ;o))) Guys, do me a personal favor - take a look at Kev's percussive documentary just uploaded on this site about the ghost town of of Hebron. I nagged at him to upload - let good deeds not go unrecognized. I am working on Sasa who has tons of terrific images to share, and Sohrab too (that would be a first). I am crazy enough to think that it is at times like these that we should upload the most, let's make every picture count...
01-04-2011
123 post(s)
Salut Francis, on pense vraiment fort à vous tous qui êtes sur place ... J'espère que la situation va s'arranger. Que la communauté mondiale soutienne le Japon ! Alain -
07-04-2011
137 post(s)
Alright Francis, we have a spot for you and your family here in Southern Maryland. Rest assured, very rarely do we get any hint of a hurricane; we have barely a trace of tornados in our history; the ground definately does not shake with any kind of frequency and unless there is some sort of celestial body plunging into the Atlantic, giant walls of water are right out. I hope everybody is still safe after this recent large aftershock; thinking about you man. Chris
07-04-2011
44 post(s)
Just heard the news...thinking of you too...