projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
09-03-2011
180 post(s)
Brothers and "sister "- (Michele, are you still with us...?) First there was Adam, or so the Bible says, and indeed many of our photographic journeys began or took off with Adam Silverman. I mention him because there are all sorts of rumors flying about, that the principals of this site "don't care anymore", etc. So I want to go back to Adam for a minute. I really don't remember us constantly looking to him to "animate" the site, to breathe life into it. We complained about the sh@tty standards, the postcards and whatnot, but we honestly didn't have such high expectations of the man, seeing him more as an administrator (and sometime judge). Perhaps this was because Adam was never a "shooter" first and foremost, more of a visionary and a techie. Then came Simon. Fast forward a few years and Simon, a bona fide photographer, a "pro" with the highest credentials, decides (having been exiled from TE), to start an elegant new site, by invitation only. A flood of graduates from the TE academy respond and for a short while, we are in "hog heaven", my brothers. Peers among peers, free at last from a daily bombardment of sad postcards and church steeples and bridges shot from a mile away. Then gradually cracks begin to appear in the smooth facade - there are complaints, most of them addressed at the principals, Simon and Arnaud, incessant complaints about "bugs" too. And now after Steve's dramatic departure, the latest complaint is that the principals "just don't care anymore, so why should we bother?" Look, I'm not a paid apologist for the principals, really I'm not, but I don't think we can blame three years of reluctant participation (zero in the case of Sohrab, Maciej and so many others), all on poor Simon or Nono. It's just not fair. Simon's thinking from the start was that this would be a "mature environment" where self-directed adults would be free to display work and comment. He did not want to be the Papa, the Ringmaster, or a second Adam (Administrator and Judge). Running and financing a global site like this is hard enough without having to hold everybody's hand. I blame "us". I blame "me" for getting into too many fights and for being a serial deleter, all of which is counterproductive. It's not Simon's fault if all the ladies took off somewhere, it's not Nono's fault if so few photogs post regularly. It's "our" fault. And it is up to us to make it right (with a little help from the guys who started this thing). Now one of our comrades just yesterday proposed that I start my own site, hinting that others would follow. My friends: a) I wouldn't know where to start and b) who the hell would follow a pusillanimous serial deleter like me anywhere, eh??? No, this is our photographic home (as Luko himself put it recently) and it is up to us to turn it around. Priorities: 1. Inspiring ourselves from Steve's brilliant ideas, let's build into the site a system for "seeing the first lines of discussions taking place below the comments". What a HUGE difference that would make, trust me. I've been on about this before - Steve provided a blueprint - let's see if our techie friends in Paris can make it happen. 2. Got to have some ladies, fellas. Sasa's departure along with all the others (and now Michele) does not speak well of us. We are like one of those decrepit old workingmen's clubs in depressed towns in Northern England, redolent of stale beer and smoke. Sad. Sad. Sad. Let's figure out just why this site is so unattractive to women and DO something about it! 3. New members: yes, we need some new blood. I have several candidates in mind from my recent travels through what is left of TE that I would like to recommend, one of them a lady as it happens. To paraphrase a well known speech: "Ask not what Simon and Co. can do for you, ask what YOU can do for Photoholik." Amen. edited by Furachan on 10/03/2011
09-03-2011
44 post(s)
Francis, I always wanted to have big brothers, now a dream come true :hug: I will answer duringt the weekend. As already mentioned, we are having enormous workload, micromanagement...I am truly exhausted :bricks: and trying to find a way out, can't say more. That' top prioritybut as you see I peep in. Thanks for the efforts, more later.
09-03-2011
2 post(s)
Francis I think Photoholik should live, you are right we all should post and comment regularly. I will force myself to be more active. I can try to introduce some photographers to the site, what kind of shooters are you looking for ? It seems to me this site is solely a street/travel photography site, am I mistaken ? Didier
10-03-2011
180 post(s)
Didier Hearty thanks for your generous offer. What kind of photography? Well obviously we lean towards documentary/travel but... to be fair and open minded, we should welcome any kind of photography that meets a certain standard, which is why I was enjoining Luko, who is a brilliant an multifaceted shooter, to display some of his wonderful underwater work. Landscapes (good landscapes such as Luis' fine work) should be welcome too. The important thing is to...share, share and discuss, share and tease, and make suggestions for improvements. You know, Didier, I had the most bizarre insight this morning while riding on the rush hour train in Tokyo: perhaps the reason Trekearth worked so well for us, for the core group of "documentary" types who later migrated to PH, was that we were able to thrive and breathe and have fun in the middle of this vast mediocrity that surrounded us like an enormous "bidonville". We lived off this mess like those poor Cambodian kiddies at Stung Meanchey... But the minute we found ourselves penned inside this exclusive new site, we just couldn't recreate the mad exuberance of those far off days. [i](Isn't that right, Luko?)[/i] Once again this is NOT the principals' fault - no one knew it would turn out this way, but that is precisely what happened. Now one possible way around this impasse, this constipation that plagues our guts, is to broaden the scope of the photography, either that or deliberately surround ourselves with mediocre postcards so we can boogie once again like there's no tomorrow (please forgive the [i]heavy [/i]irony). :eek: edited by Furachan on 10/03/2011
11-03-2011
142 post(s)
More importantly than photo, is it all OK in Tokyo? Pls give us some news.
11-03-2011
180 post(s)
[quote=Luko]More importantly than photo, is it all OK in Tokyo? Pls give us some news.[/quote] Hi Buddy, I wrote a report in the form already in CAPITAL letters)... Good news is Yoko and I are okay. The quake(s) yesterday were terrifying - experienced several on the 11th floor of Ricoh's skyscraper in the Ginza and the entire building shook and swayed sickeningly for minutes on end. Young Japanese colleagues were stumbling about holding their stomach and really looking nauseated. I decided to get out of there after a while but because of the stoppage of all trains I was forced to walk home across the entire city - it took 5 hours, surrounded by enormous crowds of commuters - surreal, man, the bars were full and yet there was this flood of refugees" walking for miles sometimes to end up in homes with no electricity. The people in the North of the country had it much, much worse (nothing like it in 100 years). There it is. Thanks for your concern, man.
03-04-2011
8 post(s)
Hi All, I a newbie here, seems like the first in while, thanks to Francis for being so active in helping me get here, as I am not great photographer, but willing to learn etc. I guess I am one of those Francis knows from TE, and I see some familiar names here too (such as Cristian). I am still am active on TE, but less so, in fact, I was not inspired there of late and Francis gave me this chance to particpate and update my skills (which need some work!). There are a few good ones on TE, and Francis may know who I am talking of, and yes, there are a few good lady's there too. I can recommend some form there, as I am still active (and there are a couple of awesome new low-key members there too). I hope to meet you all in 'holik land soon, and I hope I can find a standard good enough to keep it going here, I will certainly try, or improve doing so. This site is a great idea, and I like the project concept alot, in the end I guess if the members are posting and commenting and helping each other, then it survives and thrives. Best Wishes Justin