projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
02-03-2011
89 post(s)
I would strongly urge my friends Steve and Michele (and others) to reconsider, you will be missed if gone, and you will be welcome with open arms if you change your mind. New coat of paint to refresh the site would be great, but imo the bricks and foundation are a bigger issue (participation), and that what the keepers here don't seem to worry about. Just like Luko, despite lack of my participation, also consider this my photographic home, and a place where I still have friends.
02-03-2011
180 post(s)
[quote=njosnavelin]See this http://www.photoholik.com/forum_asp/messages.aspx?TopicID=473 Steve has left with all his photographs and I understand him. What a shame. I wanted to come back but I am saying goodbye too. Thank you for the good times, but ... See you somewhere else, take care.[/quote] See you somewhere else??? Michele, I urge you to reconsider - I mean, yu can stick a fork in TE, it's done, there's been a massive exodus over there. Nothing on the Web compares with the "potential" of Holik. We need your talent, your distinctly feminine input (as we need more participation from Inn and Sasa). Please reconsider, l'amie, this is no time to jump ship, in what... solidarity with Steve??? Steve left, I believe because of a sudden, acute realization brought on by a technical anomaly stumbled upon by Will! I mean we have a misunderstanding here. Steve made some terrific proposals that are DOABLE. I am, right now, advocating for a meeting in Paris between Steve as the architect of this redesign and the tech guys. A tragic misunderstanding is what I see. Please. Michele, do not compound this misunderstanding with your own departure. It is so unnecessary and futile. -F-
02-03-2011
137 post(s)
I feel like we've had this discussion before...Dejavu... Yes, people are not taking part in the site anymore, it's always been a problem. Saying that we need to participate more goes without saying...we need to address what the root cause. People do not come back, or participate for a reason. Yes, it can be due to the glitches, but that's not all. There are fundamental issues with the funtionality of PH. We've attempted to voice those concerns over and over again, with little or no response. The few people that have been regularly contributing have indicated over and over again that they would like a new look to the site and a restructuring of the layout and photo presentation schemes...with repeated calls for single photo options. Lets face it, it takes time to develope real projects, that in itself slows down the progress of this site. Yes we need more photos and comments etc, but what we really need is an overhaul of this site....that will take MORE people behind the scenes. It's getting past me that only Steph has commented on this thread since Steves departure. Again, I'm not pointing fingers at any of the other guys, I understand being busy...it's just life. That being said, why can't we add more admins to help the day to day functions? I recently asked my neighbor to join PH, but I don't want him to get on this site unless it's working properly. We need more hands stirring the pot. We need to address why people find it easier to post their photos on Facebook, what is it about that site that we can incorporate here (while still keeping this a photography site) that will make this attractive to those users not coming back...or those users who haven't found us yet. It is a ease of use issue and a presentation issue. Francis, thanks for jumping in (and thanks for removing the reference to Rafal; I still like the guy and thought his departure was unfortunate), your heart is always neccessary to get anything done here. Again, I'm not pointing fingers, but Steve's departure was a direct result of the lack of participation by the admins...they didn't respond to his issues for over two days. It's really not their fault, people have lives, it's because we don't have enough people on the bridge (so to speak). Yes, I'm not going to try to track down another photo site, but I'm tired of PH seeming like a ghost town and I would like to see some significant changes...I just don't feel up to posting more photos unless I know that this site is still organic and growing. Chris PS...sorry for typos, still not on my own computer
02-03-2011
44 post(s)
Hello dears, Well, Chris, I have a brand new Mac, that I am too busy to explore :-). Wish you the best with your computer ! I have somewhat unpleasant and extremely busy times at work currently with a restructuration that does not fare well. So in any case I could hardly participate before at least a month or two. All unexpected and well, it's life. Meanwhile, my opinion would be a copy-paste of what Chris :iagree: just said above The dejavu...and of course we all understand about being busy etc, and having other priorities than maintaining/developing the site...Still. Something has to be done. The few people I had mentioned PH who joined left rather quickly, nobody new enters. It is great to be among friends, people who really take the time to give good comments, etc, but with all that's up on the Net, well...the functionalities are too narrow, the traffic too slow...Facebook has changed a lot in the way we communicate too. At one point in time I even mentioned the possibility (was it with you Francis ?) of paying a fee so as to be able to get some programming work done. Francis, sticking a fork in TE ? o) I stopped over a year ago with that site. With the last events of banning etc, I told them so much my mind, just for the sake of it, that I got banned too. Which I truly provoked and never regretted. It's probably the ugliest site on the net :\:. It's not only solidarity with Steve, but a mix of the whole...I feel kind of claustrophic here, we need to open up, not only projects, etc etc...see the other threads ... So, I am open to reconsider (at least it was nice to be called a wonderful lady, but where are the others ? I feel like a rare species, I want women here, no kidding !), but like Chris I will wait somewhat to see what happens from the management (can't hear that word anymore:( side. ..will see, hopefully things will move Until later, I will keep an eye on this edited by njosnavelin on 02/03/2011
03-03-2011
180 post(s)
Well I have been in touch with Steve, and he's not coming back. For him deleting 400 images is not a step to be taken lightly (Me, I would do that before my first cup of coffee of the day and never look back but...) I guess the thought that some bug allowed another member to "wander among his images" was the last straw, especially when he felt the response was slow in coming, or inadequate. I will say right here that I don't share that feeling - I hated it when George and his sad valet were trashing all my pictures AFTER they had been booted off the site or resigned, yes, but the thought of Will, say, strolling through my projects from the inside doesn't bother me a bit. But that's me. Go figure. Bottom line: we just have to accept Steve's decision and get over it - he made his decision, and he is welcome back anytime. What we must not do is BLAME people for this (blame the principals again) - it serves no purpose and in many ways I think it's unfair. These guys all have a living to earn and looking after the site (or us) is additional to that, not to mention the geographical separations. Michele has a good point - what is it that keeps so many different people away (the Sasas, Gal, etc.) - how can we make them feel more welcome, how can we make the whole experience more fun, more relaxed? I don't have all the answers. I never did. All I know is: this is my photographic home, it's not perfect, it's not all neat and smooth working (but neither is my pokey apartment in Tokyo and I make my home there too;o) I hope others begin to upload again. We are not in mourning - we're all adults responsible for our decisions and as long as there is a desire to share stuff online and discuss it with our peers, than we're in the right place. For the time being, I will upload one photo a day until others start joining in. Let's move on. edited by Furachan on 03/03/2011 edited by Furachan on 03/03/2011
06-03-2011
31 post(s)
I was looking at Steve's recent (but now deleted) Sri Lanka series, and wanted to look at the rest of the series. So I clicked on the project and found that I was able to 'wander' through his images and change the order of the shots. I don't know if I could have deleted them or not (nor did I look) but I can see where Steve was coming from. Wasn't there some earlier 'feature' of the site where one could enter someone's project and change the order of the photos in the draft part. Was Steve's incident a bastard manifestation (apologies to members whose first language is not English) of that 'feature' that spiraled out of control? I would like to see some change, but I would also like to see some communication with the Admins. I can understand that they are busy (aren't we all?) but the fact that we've had next to zero feedback leads me to think that their enthusiasm has waned. Maybe they will do something about it, but I'd appreciate it we could have some communication before it get's changed. I've read a lot of great suggestions and would like to see them. I would like a single photo category, oh and maybe some kind of slide-show feature like they have on flickr.
06-03-2011
89 post(s)
[quote=Stig] I would like to see some change, but I would also like to see some communication with the Admins. I can understand that they are busy (aren't we all?) but the fact that we've had next to zero feedback leads me to think that their enthusiasm has waned. .[/quote] I agree, and have noticed it long time ago.
07-03-2011
180 post(s)
[u][b]Re: the so-called "waning enthusiasm of the principals":[/b][/u] I'm reasonably close to Simon and Arnaud and I can tell you this: I don't know that we can say that their enthusiasm has waned (as opposed to what... a year ago this time???) My feeling is they are probably tired, weary of the many complaints that have plagued this site from the start. They are also aware of the technical limitations of the Holik team in terms of time, etc. To be honest, as someone who has tried real hard to animate this site since the start, I feel some sympathy for them. They built this attractive, sophisticated space for us, it's free of charge, and yet somehow there is a "reluctance" to, you know - participate or something. I don't have to mention names again, do I? Here is what I propose: let's pretend this is OUR website, OUR photographic forum and get on with the job of sharing pictures and discussing them. I have TONS of pics I've never showed yet, so do you. I [i]know [/i]you do. It takes a couple of minutes to upload a pic, we can all spare that much, eh? To "mourn" Steve's untimely departure, to "grieve" or "mope" or whatever, to mistakenly "blame" the principals for his decision is in my view foolish. Steve is welcome to return anytime he wants to and he left for his reasons, whatever they were. In the meantime, all we can do is make this site better through participation and discussion. For my part I'm writing hands on reports about new Japanese cameras on my intro page, uploading one picture a day and commenting as much as I can. And yes, I miss Steve too, what can I tell you? edited by Furachan on 07/03/2011 edited by Furachan on 07/03/2011
07-03-2011
31 post(s)
OK. Fair enough. I won't complain any more. I'll just do more uploads and take it from there.
07-03-2011
142 post(s)
[quote=Furachan]For my part I'm writing hands on reports about new Japanese cameras on my intro page, uploading one picture a day and commenting as much as I can. And yes, I miss Steve too, what can I tell you? [/quote] How about stopping projects/images deletion? Even if they only attract a less than mundane praise? Even if nobody comments on them for two days in a row? uh? ;)
08-03-2011
180 post(s)
[quote=Luko][quote=Furachan]For my part I'm writing hands on reports about new Japanese cameras on my intro page, uploading one picture a day and commenting as much as I can. And yes, I miss Steve too, what can I tell you? [/quote] How about stopping projects/images deletion? Even if they only attract a less than mundane praise? Even if nobody comments on them for two days in a row? uh? ;)[/quote] Fair point buddy - everybody knows my faults. Thanks for bringing them up again (just in case anyone had forgotten ;o) For the record I am deliberately uploading stuff that I think does the site proud right now, and keeping it up there, in spite of almost total silence. And since we're talking, could I ask you, Luko, to unload some of your wonderful photos of Fiji for example, as well as your published underwater pics on this site. I'm sure they would be very much appreciated by everyone. Look, I'm a sitting target, okay - anyone with half a brain can point a finger at me and remind everyone of my deletions, my thin skin, my paranoiac tendencies, the whole schmeer. But I am also the guy with 8100+ hits on his profile page, cranking out articles and equipment reviews to keep things moving, as well as uploading regularly and supporting other photogs with comments. I know I'm a terrible, [i]terrible [/i]person, but I'd like to think that this other stuff I do, well, maybe it counts for something too... uh? ;)[/quote] See you on the gallery! edited by Furachan on 08/03/2011
08-03-2011
31 post(s)
Why don't you post your reviews in the forum. I don't care about the handling of the camera, I wanna see the high ISO shots (preferably brick walls which could also double up as a distortion test). I'm gonna post a Best of Asia set as well, might include a few Trekearth shots, and a few that have never been off my computer...
01-05-2011
135 post(s)
Well I guess it's time to start complaining again.... I woud really like to see full iOS support. Why is it not possible to write comments? I'm typing this on my new iPad, So it's possible on forum ;) It woud be Nice to get some feedback on this as I've brought up this subject before. It's such a basic thing these days! Please don't ignore this... Like many I'm already behind a computer most of the day...There are other ways to acces the internet and enjoy images in 2011...wake up!!!! Ok so now it's back to the Mac to write a comment
02-05-2011
137 post(s)
Hopefully there is an answer for you Steve. I'm currently without a computer, except at work, so I'm not uploading right now. I'm glad you're back and I plan on starting a new project when my new 'puter ships... Anyhow, it is time for an update, and although I've received some votes of confidence from the mods, there have been zero changes and no answers as to why it seems deplorable to ask for more admins for the site. Sooooooo.... [b][/b]WHY NOT ADD SOME ADMINS?? Even if the answer is "we don't want other fingers messing around with our baby", that's atleast an answer. Please show some respect to those who like to participate on PH and start a real and reciprocal dialogue so we can begin to move forward. Please.