projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
10-02-2011
137 post(s)
HEY!!! Anyone out there interested in updating this site....???? Probably not, just keep ignoring those that continue to visit... Thanks for listening *crickets* *crickets* :violin:
12-02-2011
135 post(s)
my turn to support you on this...and then .... nothing - Think I just heard an owl -
12-02-2011
137 post(s)
It's not an owl, it's the admins laughing at us...
14-02-2011
180 post(s)
nobody's laughing at anybody, it's just natural inertia compounded by weariness, Chris. The site is fine structurally, design-wise - it's still attractive, current, sub-Magnum. WHat is missing is participation, particularly "comments" - lots of uploads actually from our all-male confrerie... but too few comments. SOme folks ONLY upload, almost never bothering to comment on anyone else's work. This is a tragic mistake, because more than the uploads themselves, commentaries are the life of a community. Am I wrong?
14-02-2011
135 post(s)
I truly find the site outdated in form and functionality...also design wise we could make some serious changes. Our template is not really attractive I think. I personally don't really like the pink accent, giant banner and photoholik logo, distracting keywords and other elements on the pages. We could/should look slick....kill the icons all together for all I care (you can write what you like or dislike about an image) All these elements take some of the attention away from what's important : THE PICTURE. Again having a possibility to upload singles would be very nice and will boost activity no doubt. AND we've got bugs all over the place!! Also uploading takes tooooo long (especially photopacks) why does one need to fill out all these tabs?? We've had these discussions in the past (my participation was to insert a little page design) and what has come of this??..... nada, zip. I find this all rather demotivating. Do those in charge actually care about these points that I and others make??? I doubt it and their silence is deafening Just my an idea ... [img]http://www.pbase.com/stevev1/image/132525957/original.jpg[/img] clicking the close button then brings you here [img]http://www.pbase.com/stevev1/image/132525970/original.jpg [/img] edited by stevev1 on 14/02/2011
16-02-2011
137 post(s)
Goog looking stuff Steve...I like the layout there. Francis, you are right about commenting, but when you enter the site it's like being sucked into a timewarp...everything just lows down for me. For that matter, I don't think the Magnum site is all that attractive either; I haven't been back in some time. More than anything, I would like the Admins to respond and make some REAL changes that we've spoken about. I don't think there is any active response at all from the Mods...I never got a response to a request to add more equipment (except from Steve)...so, I suspose Steph is long gone at this point. I guess the appropriate phrase would be, "s#@t, or get off the pot."
16-02-2011
137 post(s)
Sorry about the typos...
16-02-2011
135 post(s)
I know nothing about web design so I don't know how difficult it is to create something like the little lay-out I made... I took the liberty at creating a new banner (based on the design) ... navigation buttons work [url=http://www.steveviscot.be/holik.html]here[/url] it is This will be my last contribution on this subject. I will now shut up about the whole thing (I promise! ) edited by stevev1 on 16/02/2011
17-02-2011
137 post(s)
I like it Steve...Why shut up? I mean, I'm going to keep making noise until someone listens or a new website pops up. I want this site to live up to its potential.
18-02-2011
290 post(s)
HI There I Like your proposition Steve and the design. the probleme to update and change the site design depend on few people, i mean about the work, and the time to spend on this change. it is a long process to do this. I will ask to the other admin what they feel about this. Anyway thx for the time you spent to do this. sorry for late reply Simon
18-02-2011
135 post(s)
OK I won't shut up :) You know Simon I'm already very happy to receive a response and it's nice to hear you'll pass it on to the other admins. This gives me hope for the future. However we've heard this before...hopefully something will come of it this time. I know it's all easier said then done but this site really needs a boost. We should try to move forward rather quickly now...don't you agree. Isn't the template a form of css? If so small changes in the code can make a massive difference. How about using the banners you created for the front page (the ones that change every time you refresh) on every page??? The code's already written.... the banner and navigation buttons in the link I provided are based on the code I wrote for my own website... feel free to use it should you so wish. You could already implement these things quickly...without a lot of effort. Let's really DO something .... please a few possibilities: [img]http://www.pbase.com/stevev1/image/132620433/original.jpg [/img] - citizen of the country that owns the world record "country without government for the longest time" Damn proud to be Belgian now! We've beaten Irak !!! yeahhhhh edited by stevev1 on 19/02/2011
21-02-2011
290 post(s)
Steve nice !! on Holik i work and worked just on the design and a part of the navigation. all about HTML, and code.... are from Stef, Jean and Arnaud. i will send a mail to them with a link from this post :)
26-02-2011
44 post(s)
See this http://www.photoholik.com/forum_asp/messages.aspx?TopicID=473 Steve has left with all his photographs and I understand him. What a shame. I wanted to come back but I am saying goodbye too. Thank you for the good times, but ... See you somewhere else, take care.
27-02-2011
137 post(s)
This is a shame... Through a complete lack of respect we let one of the most prolific individuals on this site leave for good. I suppose that's the death blow. My computer is broken so I couldn't tell when I would have been back, but I don't think I'm going to make the effort to show up again. Why couldn't some more people be added to become admins, people who actually wanted the site to work? Goobye. Chris
28-02-2011
142 post(s)
Holikers Although it might seem to you that I haven't been participating for a while, therefore that I am not the best person to express my opinion about that, I still feel my photo home and my buddies are in Holik. Hence I am very saddened with Steve's departure, I hope though his decision is not final and that it will not be a pretext for everyone to leave the building. Ok, there have been some problems in the past, it's true that the site wasn't developping at the rate everyone could wish too, on the other hand as I know the persons in charge and guess what's on their business agenda outside holik, one should also show some patience. These guys are working too while we are traveling the world, clicking with out Leicas and voicing loud our functional wishlist for Holik. Now I agree it could better but if everyone is leaving the site, where are we going to chat around images, eh? Steve are you sure it's your last word? ...C'mon... Luko
01-03-2011
115 post(s)
Hi everybody I am sorry to be far from Holik a this time! I am very busy at work, and in my personnal life. Simon, Nono : We need one more developer. Holikers: Is there anybody who can help me to develop Photoholik? Simon, Nono : Steve propasals are great. I can change holik. But give me all inputs (images, html...) ... that is nothing to do. Thanks Stephane
01-03-2011
340 post(s)
oops :) I logged with Jean account;)
01-03-2011
137 post(s)
Hey Steph, thanks for dropping in...sorry for any typos, I'm using my phone because I don't have a home computer right now. Anyhow, all of were/are aware of how busy life is in general; I've spent long periods away from PH myself. I know how tedious it must be to work after you've come home from work. That's why we need more people with the ability to contribute their time...more mods or admins etc. It doesn't mean anyone is relinquishing control, just that we are adding to the group effort. I think Steve is gone for good, and that's a serious loss. I myself, I'm not posting anymore until I see some real change; that may or may not matter to anyone else, but it does matter to me. I had high expectations for this and was extremely excited that some great photographers thought I was worthy to be part of this site. It just fizzled out though, and really that falls back on the shoulders of the admins...I'm sorry, that's just the way I see it. We had many many threads discussing changes and very rarely did anything come of the threads or suggestions...eventually, when people feel as though they're not being listened to or considered, they stop contributing...that list is an extensive list. So, this site is very close to dying, if that's the intention of the founders just tell us and that will be that. Otherwise make some substantial changes now and show us that there is life left. Start with adding people behind the scenes. By the way, I cannot log on from my work computer...Its not the work computer, as I can log into any other site, PH just doesn't recognize my user name and password when I try to log in.
01-03-2011
137 post(s)
PSS. log in glitch appears to be fixed. Thanks. :thumb:
02-03-2011
180 post(s)
Christopher was kind enough to alert me of Steve's departure. A loss. A HUGE loss. Steve, if you're out there reading this, come BACK, man. No one is ignoring you and Simon has already praised your design ideas several times, you are being taken seriously, no one is ignoring you. You have been like the backbone of this site for a long time now. Unlike me, steady as a rock, always helpful, positive, very creative, with tremendous output. Surely there is a misunderstanding and your departure is just one more bug in this flee-ridden system ;o) Come back home, baby, don't stay mad! Everyone else, while Steve reconsiders his decision (and I trust he will), let us NOT GIVE UP ON THIS SITE. Listen once again to Luko who clearly has remained engaged in this venture in spite of appearances. This is our forum for photographic display, exploration and discussion, and even with it's million bugs it is still the best damn photographic site out there, bar none. This is a time for CONSOLIDATION and renewed COMMITMENT, not desertion or surrender. Let us not fall victims to a kind of misplaced solidarity. Steve and we are on the same sign, merely temporarily estranged I hope. We need (and in short order), the following: MORE UPLOADS MORE COMMENTS THE RETURN OF OUR WONDERFUL LADIES Then I suggest we try to re-engage Steve on the design front and arrange a meeting between him and the techies (Stephane and Jean) to put a new coat of paint on the old site. YES WE CAN! Francis ps. IS there anything specific I can do to help at this juncture? edited by Furachan on 02/03/2011