projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
08-03-2010
180 post(s)
Two things stand out for me about our site at this moment: 1. The lack of comments (as opposed to viewings) 2. The near total absence of our lady members. About the first (lack of comments), it's a bit of a mystery really - the general standard of uploads is high and fairly regular and I see quite a few "hits" for each pic but... no comments a lot of the time, regardless of the intrinsic merit of the photograph. So people are definitely "looking" but they have nothing to say. I honestly think comments are very much what a community like this is about and I wish we would make more of an effort there. About the absence of our extremely talented ladies (Nosjavelin, Sarolta, Inn) ... I wonder: have we become too much of a "boy's club"? Are we unconsciously making it uncomfortable for them to participate. It's just a question, I have no answers. All I know is this: this site is always (without exception) better and healthier when our "sisters" participate. Any suggestions/comments?
09-03-2010
49 post(s)
I think a lack of comments is a topic that has been exercised here before as well as on the pages of 'the other place'. From recollection, I believe there was a consensus that a viewing without a comment was the politest way for many people (and we are all polite here now that our old friend has gone) of saying "I don't like it". Sure, we should have the courage of writing why we don't like something but I fear many of us are afraid of falling into the category of those armchair critics lampooned by Mike Johnston here http://tinyurl.com/g5ycf And we know some people take criticism badly. As to the disappearance of our lady members, I have no idea (although Kaj and Valeria (brevbrev14) seem to be ploughing at least a semi-pro field these days). Perhaps we should ask George Clooney to be our patron?
10-03-2010
44 post(s)
Hey guys:kissyou: No time to add something concrete right now, far too much work these days :bricks:, but I'll be "back" from next week on. Meanwhile I see that Kaj started posting again, which is great news. I also notice that The team projects (apart from the self portrait one) do not seem to attract that many people, maybe a lack of visibility ? P.S. I like George Clooney very very much but hmm if there's a choice I'd go for Ed Norton :inlove:
12-03-2010
180 post(s)
Steve: Yes I agree with your take on "no comments" but let me add this - I go out of my way (as I have recently with my dear friend Prantik) to step in when there is an embarrassing silence of 40 "sightings" and not a single word, to point out the failings in the pic. We are here to criticize as well as praise, are we not? It's a lot better that way. Simon quite often "whispers in my ear" in that way soon after an upload saying "this one really doesn't speak to me" and then I quietly remove it. That is preferable to this "polite" constipated silence you allude to ;o) Michele: Can't wait to have you back among us, l'amie! Yes, Kaj sudden reappearance is most welcome. Frankly this site is just much more balanced and inspiring and inspired somehow when several ladies are at work at the same time, there is no comparison. And let me say it once again: you are MOST WELCOME here, and cherished.
12-03-2010
135 post(s)
All I wanted to say is that this small community is not always right....we all have our preferences. Everybody sees different things in an image and while some love it others might not. We are wrong all the time...even with out own images. 2 pictures that I had up here at one time but pulled out of a series have been published lately...so what does that tell you. No comments, praise or critique don't mean anything really. They are mere indications nothing more. I give my share of critique, speak my mind and that is what should be encouraged but I don't feel the urge to comment on every single image up here...We are far to small a community for definite answers on the quality of an image.
16-03-2010
180 post(s)
Let's go into this a little deeper, shall we, Steve? I think we are getting "set in our ways", in our "male only club" ways to boot ;o) You and I both for example have a stock of images that are solidly composed and a bit on the conventional side (some of them, okay?) There seems to be a reaction against solid shots that document something - one gets the "silent treatment", ie. 55 hits and zero comments, which is this site's version of "shunning" ;o) On the other hand vague, blurry pics, highly subjective almost impenetrable shots are "in". Now don't get me wrong - I support those experimental, impressionistic efforts, I always have, but there should be room for broader appreciation, including yes (here we go again) fine portraits of children taken by others besides Alimo3 ;o) and sure, landscapes too ( so Luis and in a way Kev Ryan might decide to dip their toes again). More specifically I have a vast project involving the French writer Marguerite Duras in Indochina, centered around the little Delta town of Sa Dec, which includes quite a few old photographs of her, her siblings, her Chinese lover, etc. It also includes group pictures of yes, Vietnamese school children in the yard of an old colonial school where Duras' mother taught, the teacher's room, etc. Bloody hell, man, I went to Vietnam purposefully to shoot this series with a view to contacting the Nikon Salon in the Ginza! But under current circumstances I am very hesitant to show any of it on Holik. Hell there's even some beautiful golden light landscapes by the river in there, man. Imagine! Kids, landscapes, old photographs??? Nary a touch of Alex Webb anywhere? What are my chances do you think? Behind the sarcasm I am deadly serious: 1. we are becoming narrower in our tastes (some types of images are deemed "cool" and "with it" and others not.) 2. There are tons of hits and VERY FEW comments (I just don't understand that - it takes 15 seconds to jot something down, and it is even more important to comment when you DON'T like something!) COngrats on getting those "rejected pics" publishes, by the way, Steve. Sincerely. You deserve it, man. edited by Furachan on 17/03/2010
16-03-2010
135 post(s)
I don't have the answers as to why there are so few comments. Perhaps people just have a look but don't bother to write anything. The bigger the user base the more pictures and comments. This I think is the main problem. Just a few uploads a week isn't something to get exited about is it..... As for your series; well I guess you know my answer by now....upload them (and be patient.....very patient :) ) This site is very unpredictable, perhaps later on today or tomorrow there might be a lot of activity but then again there might not....
16-03-2010
49 post(s)
Well guys, since my return to PH after an unintended break, I've made the resolution to comment on every photo. It's not New Year any longer so there's a chance it may be kept. Not sure I agree with Francis that the site is going in a particular direction. There seems to be an eclectic mix bearing in mind the fairly small pool of active members (we shouldn't worry - as a men's club(!), we know size doesn't matter). Certainly, it hasn't gone in the arty direction of OnExposure (or 1x) - there I submitted an image ruined (to my mind) by camera shake but it was nevertheless accepted, whereas more conventional takes were rejected. By the way, I want to see those Duras photos, Francis (let us know if you test them elsewhere. . .). edited by El Inglés on 16/03/2010