projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
16-11-2009
38 post(s)
I bought an used Canon-5d couple of weeks ago from Adorama. While test-shooting, I discovered that it over-exposes in the auto, aperture and shutter speed modes unless I dial down the exposure by at least one stop. This particularly happens while shooting indoor or in shade. For example, if I am taking a picture of an object on the dining table in the aperture mode and let the camera choose the proper shutter speed, then it overexposes the shot by at least one stop, or even worse. I could of course dial down the exposure from what the camera has calculated, but that seems pretty silly for such a high end camera. My old 350D exposes perfcetly under the same condition. Interestingly enough, the auto-exposure of the 5D performs much better if I am shooting in broad daylight. Is it common? or did I buy a lemon? I am still in return period. Thanks Prantik
16-11-2009
142 post(s)
Hmmmh... firstly congrats for your purchase, it makes a HUGE step from the 350D. How do you find your new life since you don't have to peep through a (a**)hole anymore... no more brown noses :) About exposure... have you been looking at the exposure from a RAW file? The good thing about the 5D is that it is very hard to completely blow out details in the highlights. Its sensor is very forgiving, now the bad thing is that I also find that it often overexposes, hence I have systematically set it to -2/3 but I spoke with Maciek some years ago about the settings : he found that the sensor was so good in thehighlight that h epreferd to have a slight overexposure to begin RAW developemnt, which ensures him getting the max details in the darkest areas. Me, I chose the "chiaroscuro" setting (sorry I'm back from Tuscany, cannot help speaking italian :cool:.. scusa.). It's weird about dim light overexposure. have you checked compared to your 350D meter? May look like it is fooled with tunsgten light ...
17-11-2009
38 post(s)
Luko Thanks a lot. No brown nose indeed, but achy wrist. With the 17-40 attached to it, this beast is heavy. Love the full frame and in general the picture quality, especially in the night, is much better than the 350D. No comparison. The overexposure is really wierd though. I could understanf if on a cntrasty day (both light and shadow present) the camera overexposes the highlights. However, it only overexposes when everything is evenly illuminated and everything is in either shade or indoor. So there is no shadow and highlight. But the whole frame gets overexposed. Something may be wrong with the calibration or the AE calcualtion algorithm it. Seems like it is trying to overcompensate by jacking up the exposure by a notch or two (I would expect that if microsoft wrote the code).
17-11-2009
142 post(s)
[quote=prantik]... but achy wrist. With the 17-40 attached to it, this beast is heavy. [/quote] You, sissy! Imagine I was day long strolling Siena cobbled streets with a 24/105L and no latch of any kind. I like how it feels heavy in my hand, you'll learn how to leave it hanging down open handed with only three fingers securing : you don't even have to hold, Mr.Newton and gravity will do it for you. I am quite worried with your exposure issues. I think it would be better if you retrun it back to the shelves where you bought it. It does look suspicious to me and you never know what it may hide, maybe more than simple overexposure (sensor filter defect) plus you have loads of second hand 5D waiting for a new master. Check ebay or second hand camera stores.
18-11-2009
49 post(s)
[color=#CCCC00][b]Lemon[/b]. [/color] :cry: I agree with Luko. Return her and find another.
18-11-2009
38 post(s)
Thanks gentlemen. Lemon is sent back to her parents.
19-11-2009
180 post(s)
Prantik, Let me jump in here for a moment, brother, as one who has gone through the 5D, into a Nikon black hole (about to be made worse by my impending failure to get m,y pics accepted at the Nikon gallery in the Ginza ;o), and then back into the loving arms of C with a 5DII. Listen, bro, rather than fish around again for yet another second hand 5D that may have a shady past, why not look for the best price on a 5DII? It is the one big bargain in cameras right now, with the addition of excellent video capability, ya know...? 21 MP sounds huge but it is not really, only means you can crop with impunity and print LARGE. There is also small RAW available if you need to save space. The 5DII IS an improvement image-wise over the elder model, especially at high iso's - night pictures are a doddle with this beast. SImply put, the 5D II is Da Bomb, man. FOr sheer "roundness" of feleing in images and that neo-Leica-ish-3D kick, itcannot be beat, certainly not by Nikon and its committee of Furachan non-appreciators ;o) As for overex, it is certainly capable of it too but overall metering is pretty well behaved - what you DON'T want to d with the "II" is underexpose like a clever Willy because the "II" will punish you with some mean low iso banding when you try to lift those shadows ^- oh man! Sorry to make your life even more complicated, Prantik, but do consider a 5DII (second hand, say if you can find one). What do the other pals think?
19-11-2009
38 post(s)
[i]"Prantik, but do consider a 5DII (second hand, say if you can find one" [/i] Yo Francis, will you get sick of your 5d II in a year from now? I could stick it out with my 350D till then. :) Stephen will definitely agree with you on this. Simon is quite taken by his Mark II as well. From whatever I read and heard, this seems like a gem of a machine. I would definitely consider it at some point. But now, I am in recession mode. Maybe I could apply for stimulus money from O. Adorama will not fully refund the money since it has been over two weeks. However, they will replace it with another 5d for no charge. I will first try that. If I get another lemon, then I will sell it and go for the MK II. Keeping my fingers crossed.
19-11-2009
137 post(s)
TRI-X!!!!!!!!! :violin:
19-11-2009
180 post(s)
Yo Francis, will you get sick of your 5d II in a year from now? I could stick it out with my 350D till then. :) Well, that's always a distinguished chance of that but where could I go after the 5DII, eh? To a silly crop cam like the Pentax 7D. The only real competition is the HEAVY-AS-A-BRICK Nikon D700 or... one of the Sony full frames but they flame out at high isos...;o) If I decide to move once and for all to Leica M... maybe but I doubt it. Adorama will not fully refund the money since it has been over two weeks. However, they will replace it with another 5d for no charge. I will first try that. If I get another lemon, then I will sell it and go for the MK II. Keeping my fingers crossed.[/quote] Adorama are jerks, Prantik, it's well known. You are much better off with the Hasidim at B&H ha ha (tell 'em I said that!). The next one should be okay. It is actually a superb cam and plenty enough for anyone. Zero improvements in AF from the "II" anyway - really the 5D is a classic - also get this: it's per pixel resolution is higher than the bloated "II" - I suspect it has a weaker low pass filter on its sensor than the "II" and it shows, boy --- hardly any need for sharpening, unless you're Henk or somebody like that hee hee... Looking forward to your excellent pics with the 5D. You may find the 17-40 too wide along the wide end, it really comes into its own with crop cams I think but still...
19-11-2009
135 post(s)
Sure 5DII CAN be a great cam. All I know is that the one I used went back to Canon as it failed rather quick. Also there's the cross banding thing that Francis struggles with. And of course it's slow in both AF and fps. 21MP is huge so the write speed may have something to do with the fps but still... Definitely nothing wrong with Tri-x :)
19-11-2009
49 post(s)
Good luck with the next 5D, Prantik. Anyway, I suspect the AF and metering improvements in the 7D mean that a 5D III can't be so far away and then they'll be a selection of more reasonably priced 5D IIs available, new and used. That said, I've never had a problem with the metering or AF of the II - in the real world, I found no difference between the II and the 1Ds III. Moreover, the better ISO range of the II and Auto ISO meant that I preferred to change the lenses on the II than use the 1Ds even if I had it with me. So the 1Ds has gone and the proceeds invested in used Leica 35mm (with change to spare!). Nothing wrong with Tri-X! :logic:
19-11-2009
38 post(s)
To Francis: [i]You are much better off with the Hasidim at B&H ha ha (tell 'em I said that!). [/i] I would have gone to B&H i f not they are closed half the time observing sabbath and attending Bar mitzah :) But, I agree. Adorama are jerks. This is the last time I am dealing with them. Yepp, I found the 17-40 to be too wide on the 5D. At focal length 17 the shots look like a scene from Lawrence of Arabia. I will get the 35mm prime you suggested on FB (the cheaper one, not the L lens) To Chris: Everything is perfect with Tri-X. In fact, I am thinking of upgrading my Pentax k1000 as well. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced film camera? To Stephen: ...1D...leica. Mrs El Ingles knows about it yet? Otherwise, hope she doesn't visit this site. What did you get? Film or digital Leica? i hear they are coming up with a full frame machine?
19-11-2009
142 post(s)
[quote=prantik]Everything is perfect with Tri-X. In fact, I am thinking of upgrading my Pentax k1000 as well. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced film camera? [/quote] A M6 ? :) Hey no kidding Prantik why wouldn't you try one of those Voigtlander rangefinder cameras here at [url=http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm]camera quest[/url], they can fit M lenses or those really nice Voigtlander lenses Mr.Kobayashi sells to broke leicaers. The 21/4 is awesome, I used one which I sold to Nono. And if you are on a tighter budget, there's always the workhorse Nikon FM2. But I think for film, the rangefinder experience is still the boon you cannot have with digital (or very expensively). edited by Luko on 19/11/2009 edited by Luko on 19/11/2009
19-11-2009
38 post(s)
Luko, I am tilting heavily towards a small range-finder. With the 5D+17-40 already in one hand, I would definitely prefer something light while walking the streets (ya ya, sissy, I know. Newton also said that the friction is proportional to weight). Someone also suggested Contax G series. Any idea on the relative merits between Voigt and Contax?
19-11-2009
142 post(s)
[quote=prantik]Luko, Someone also suggested Contax G series. Any idea on the relative merits between Voigt and Contax?[/quote] Nah... The Contax G is AF and makes a nasty little noise when focusing... the good thing about the rangefinder is the full DIY feel : MUST be manual focus. (sorry I mixed up in the last post RF with VF... but I suppose you corrected by yourself). I would go for the Bessa R, although the shutter "clacks" rather than "clicks". edited by Luko on 19/11/2009
19-11-2009
49 post(s)
Prantik, Mrs R does know about the Leica stuff. An R7, R8 and four lenses. Why R and not M? Well, I prefer using an SLR. For the RF, I have a Contax G2 kit I picked up a couple of years ago from some guy who was selling it to buy a D3. The IQ is gorgeous but too many years with an SLR has spoilt me. To answer Luko, it does indeed make a 'zip' when winding on but the zip is drowned out by the noise of an SLR mirror flipping. I'd certainly buy a G2 over an M7 - less hassle. much cheaper and equally good lenses. Going back to the R cameras, the R8 is very underestimated, It is the first camera I've used - and I've tried a few in 30 years - where it really is possible to make all the important adjustments while looking through the viewfinder. That said, I prefer the R7 as it is so much smaller and lighter. Good luck with whatever you choose, my friend.
20-11-2009
142 post(s)
[quote=El Inglés] I'd certainly buy a G2 over an M7 - less hassle. much cheaper and equally good lenses. [/quote] Let me friendly, but nevertheless fully, disagree with your assertion, Stephen. Firstly, you cannot compare a 3 lens system against a full array of different lenses from 21 to 135mm, secondly I would state no lens comes close to a summicron or a summilux asph. even the Zeiss. For me, there's a world between the "dryness" of a Zeiss and the kind of mellow but extreme precision of the Leitz. Try then a Leitz and a Zeiss at full aperture, it's like Schwartznegger against Malkovitch. One is witty when the other simply brutal. :fencing: Then the G story is one of real flops in the argentic industry. What an idea to put an AF on a RF, I still don't understand the concept!!! When I tried the G1 you couldn't even guess where the focus was actually located or what it was doing. besides that the strength of a RF is that you can shoot at very low speed, when you have any electronic thingy in between that's where you're bothered... I have clear sharp shot with my M made at 1/4 s... could you say so with a G? For me, the real beauty of the M series lies in the MP or the M3 : no electronics needed, even if your battery fails you can click at any shutter speed. That said I had a R in the beginning. R5, same body as the R7 older electronics. Good camera but the main thing for me was that it could accept Leitz lenses, other than that... it's a Minolta engineered body! Dont' believe me? Check the X700... :naughty: I say, The real thing is an M, everything comes back to the M. :worship:
20-11-2009
180 post(s)
Prantik what you want is none of those things, but rather a DIGITAL Epson RD-1s rangefinder, terrific value, all manual, brilliant output from its 6 MP which can be blown up BIG, and it will accept all Voigtlander, Leitz and Zeiss glass. I have one which I would sell to you, seeing as I'm licking my wounds after my defeat at the hands of the Nikon galleries ;o) and I just don't know about this photography lark anymore... I would also sell you with it a small complement of first rate Voigtlander lenses - 28 - 35 and 50 to fit the Epson settings. Are you interested, bro...? You wouldn't even have to pay me right away, honest. As for Luko's declaration about zeiss glas, yes, he is mostly right with one glaring exception - the peerless ZM 50mm F1.5 Sonnar which I own and which is not at all like the rest of that shower of brutal high contrast optics, but rather subtle and tender with the BEST bokeh I think I've ever experienced. By the way, it's nice chatting with you boys even if I feel like a complete idiot, post Nikon, and totally at a loss with my photography... And wasn't that a GREAT picture from Sasa the other day, huh? Shot with a Nikon it's true, but ya can't hold that against her, can ya?+ edited by Furachan on 20/11/2009
20-11-2009
31 post(s)
[b]Better than the LEICA M9, for a lot less money! [/b][i][/i] Who said that? I'll give you a clue. His last name begins with a K and rhymes with bell. (He's talking about the Contax G2!).