projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
18-08-2009
59 post(s)
One person who appears not to be a member of this site, but who I believe was so until recently, seems to be going out of his way to make negative comments about my photos. Should I be bothered by this? I have no way of reaching him to discuss -- because there is no link to respond to him. (I see that only members have response links.) I have a feeling that it's not about me personally, but that he is trying to prove some kind of a point. I guess I should just ignore and/or delete the comments. It's kind of bothersome, though.
18-08-2009
89 post(s)
yeah, the strange thing about this site is that the once who don't want to be or are not wanted here just keep on coming, not sure why personally I think it's odd ;-), I would ignore them.
21-08-2009
59 post(s)
After receiving one or two more of these comments from this same person, I've decided to delete them all. Yes, it's easy to delete unflattering comments. But the truth is, they were useless comments as well. They had no critical merit. They were just tirades against my photos. Photos that I posted without any pretension -- but only in good faith. I seem to have been singled out -- along with one other PH member -- for this kind of smear campaign. And I call it that because this person has made nothing but derogatory comments about my photos. No balance at all. No moderation or even mildly considerate commentary. He's simply picking out photos that are, in his opinion, weak and slamming them. So, as it doesn't seem he's every going to do anything constructive, I have decided just to delete the comments. I am not protesting that the photos in question are great and deserve praise. But when the only comments the person makes are nukes and does not even stop to balance his attacks, I can't consider that a reasoned approach to critiquing. I don't imagine that my deleting of these comments will please the person and may even increase the antagonism -- which is based on I have no idea what. I don't know him. I have had hardly any interaction whatsoever with him. When he was a member of the community, I vaguely remember that we critiqued a couple of each other's photos . . . But what really bothers me about this is I have no way of communicating with him. He has no photos on the site. He has no email link. This visitor feature, which was supposed to enhance the site, has had an unintended consequence in this case -- namely allowing anonymous people simply to make spurious comments without having to stand up to any criticism of their own. Or to engage in any reasonable dialogue. Maybe the admins will take this situation under consideration when they think future site protocols. Yes, I know the man is being immature and I should just ignore it. These are only photos, after all. It's amazing everyone can get so riled up about such a trivial thing. Nobody's life depends on them. But still, I feel almost as though I'm being harassed.
21-08-2009
59 post(s)
I just want to add for the record and to be fair, that in his latest pan of one my photos, the aforementioned person did post his email address. The "critique" he left, however, was such an ad hominem attack on me that I also deleted it. I realize that I don't want to engage him in a dialogue, after all, because I don't think we would ever agree and he seems to be expressing a great deal of hostility toward me. But, again, in the interest of full disclosure, I wanted readers to know that, while I believe this person is using my posts to take out some kind of anger toward me, he did, in fact, provide a way to contact him.
21-08-2009
135 post(s)
Francis, as Hugh says why not just delete those comments There's a delete button for guest comments...
22-08-2009
59 post(s)
As I mentioned to Francis elsewhere I now regret deleting the comments. They are their own indictment of the person making them. Anyone can see that they are not about making a productive contribution or helping anyone learn about what is good or not working in a photograph. They are part of a personal agenda of rancor and spite. It's incredible that anyone would spend time lurking around here making these comments unless their object were to inflict harm and disturb this community. I'm not going to delete them anymore. If people want to make outrageous statements and attack people rather than make reasoned critiques, let their banal stupidity sit there for everyone to see. And the praise being leveled on photos that meet their approval does nothing to disguise their true intentions. Once again, I suggest those who are unhappy with this site go form their own site rather than trying to screw this one up. And, yes, I agree with Francis that if this continues, it should become apparent that the guest function is being abused.
22-08-2009
44 post(s)
I agree with you Hugh. The comments by the three puerile musketeers (George, Grazyna and Nuno) should have been/be kept until the problem is solved with that guest functionality for the sakes of documentation. G, G, and N, you can think of me (considering the mutual respect and liking we had on TE and in the beginning here) that I have a double-personality, licking PH member's bottoms... .:greenp:to try to integrate myself with my "artsy" pics (Ninal's opinion), or am a traitor or whatever. I don't care anymore and stand to my current opinion. PH not good enough for you ? Get your own place, or find another site. How sad and futile. edited by njosnavelin on 22/08/2009
05-10-2009
137 post(s)
I may not comment every day, but I try to be active when I get a chance. The problem for me, it seems that there tends to be a Mob mentality here at times and we scare away prospective contributors by not being open to all the different downloads and ideas. That said, we talk and talk about expanding our horizons, yet the photostream looks alot like the photostream when this site was first started. Ooops, be back later...at work.
05-10-2009
59 post(s)
There does seem to have been a disturbance in the Force. I imagine it's only temporary. I've just been on a trip and done quite a bit of shooting. I'm sure I'll be uploading something in due course. It does seem difficult to sustain a high degree of participation at all times, though. And, since we are a small number of people -- and we are pushing ourselves and one another to submit only the highest quality, refined work -- it's probable, by necessity, that there will be real lulls in the overall contributions to the site. Of course, we did have an influx of new members recently, which promised a lot more activity and dynamism. But, as we all know, that didn't work out too well. . . .
06-10-2009
135 post(s)
[quote=Furachan] Where is Sohrab, Kev Ryan, Maciej, Sarolta, Nosjavelin, Luko (most of the time), Gal (most of the time), Elaine, and on and on and on. And again with all due respect to y French brothers, where is admin in all this??? [/quote] Perhaps you should now include Mr Harrison here as well :) Francis, I think that that the most important thing on a photo site is uploads, comments come when one views new images. The front page is now almost a month old!! We need new members, new projects. Perhaps the site could do with a face lift as well. There doesnt seem to be a lot happening on the promissed new features. I again fully support the idea of a "singles" upload function (in a different gallery then what we have now). It does indeed look like the founders are saying je m'en fous....I hope this is not the case Steve
06-10-2009
59 post(s)
I honestly don't know what will make the site work better. I think these social networks are organic things that can't always be resuscitated by calculated moves. I do sometimes think, as someone else mentioned not long ago, that the site's lack of functionality may have something to do with the inertia. It does take such a long time (in relative terms) to upload photos it seems. It's slow and awkward to fill out all the details. Sometimes I just don't feel up to it. But that's probably not the essential problem. I hope your strategy will be successful, Francis, and, as mentioned, I do plan to be back with some new material shortly. (Not that people breathlessly await my stuff, for sure. But, still . . .) My main reason for chiming in at this moment, however, is to add this: If you're willing to give Simon a pass for being in the midst of moving to a new home, please also consider that others (maybe not all, but certainly some) have mitigating life circumstances as well. For example, without naming names, I know that a couple of our sisters are involved in dealing with life's severe trials right now, and I don't hold their lack of participation in this arena against them for a moment. For most people, in this busy life full of choices and obligations, this will always be a pastime, and not a primary pursuit. Best, -h.
06-10-2009
59 post(s)
That's weird. I got an email indicating this thread had been updated this morning (my time) at 8:36 a.m. I went to look for the response, but there isn't one. In addition, all of Francis's contributions to this discussion seem to have disappeared! As some around here like to say, WTF?!?
06-10-2009
44 post(s)
Hi, I just noticed that too Hugh. I have a shaky connection due to some problem with the provider, and I was writing an answer when I got disconnected...where are Francis's comments indeed ? Francis, please come back ! Here is the text I had prepared: Hi dear all, and thanks Francis for bringing up the problem... I will be back as soon as I am further through a certain struggle (thanks Hugh!) and as soon as I have something decent to post...I have also become so much more severe with myself, pics I thought fine some months ago I would hesitate to post now...on this site...(but that is my problem to solve). Even critiquing I do find difficult right now in terms of energy, I even had to cancel my holidays. I have no new suggestions, the single posting feature should help, because the style of commenting will be different, lighter, common projects etc should give a different dynamic, and hopefully give the proper kick to the silent photogs who joined but never posted. I agree with Hugh on some technical improvements on the site. For example it's rather cumbersome to follow discussions on a photo if you are not participating directly in itf (or have I missed something?). It would be great to have a similar feature as to the "other site" :-). Also some loosening up in our ways, maybe there's too much of a "serious streak" at times with the strong emphasis on projects ? :party:, like what happened with Jim, there I feel that the admin should have tried something...of course like you say, Hugh, admin people have their own priorities too, but their presence is really minimalistic these days and let's hope that that will change... I still feel very sorry about what happened back in the summer, a greater array of personalities would be beneficial but...it doesn't seem that easy a goal to reach. What about contacting those who joined but never post to see if there are common factors holding them back ? One of them is probably lack of time, when you are already on a couple of sites, it just takes too much space in a 24h. day... As for technical work, we know it's all done on a voluntary basis, what about joining our forces and eventually help Steph with an ad-hoc help, that we could pay ? Let's not give up yet.
06-10-2009
137 post(s)
I just noticed that the newest post from Francis is missing...I think I should check to see if he is still with us.
06-10-2009
137 post(s)
Just checked the account status of Francis and it's still here, though his note indicates that he's moved on. I'll be honest, if he's been forced out I believe that I've had it with this site... Too much bull****.
06-10-2009
59 post(s)
[quote=prezntime]Just checked the account status of Francis and it's still here, though his note indicates that he's moved on. I'll be honest, if he's been forced out I believe that I've had it with this site... Too much bull****.[/quote] I had checked that, too, Chris. But I didn't see the "moved on" part. Wow, that would be unconscionable. He's been the absolute heart and soul of this site. I agree. If Francis is gone (by force, that is), not only will I be gone, but I have no doubt the site will be gone as well.
06-10-2009
44 post(s)
I cannot believe that Francis as been "pushed out", but if that was the case... In any case without him I would feel like both of you Chris and Hugh. I just wrote him a personal email to ask about that, and I feel we should now try our best to get the admin give a feedback on this thread asap, have a sincere concrete discussion, (like helping Steph on techn things etc etc). Somebody with good writing skills (not me) should draft a note to be sent directly to admin, what do you think ? If they don't have the time for the site right now maybe they could delegate some of it meanwhile ? at least have a downright talk about things, it's about time.
06-10-2009
59 post(s)
I also wrote to him. I'll be happy to help draft a note if you think that will help. Although just getting them to read this thread (with Francis's remarks restored ((how did he delete them??)) ) would be a start.
06-10-2009
44 post(s)
[quote=bombilla]I also wrote to him. I'll be happy to help draft a note if you think that will help. Although just getting them to read this thread (with Francis's remarks restored ((how did he delete them??)) ) would be a start.[/quote] Yes, I agree, having the admin read and react on the thread would be a good start. Let's see Francis' reaction first then, I have no idea about those remarks by him that have gone.
06-10-2009
135 post(s)
wow just coming back on-line...didn't expect this stuff to be happening. I'm sure that Francis was not forced out,that leaving was his own decision as he was disappointed with the lack of participation on this site. Hopefully he'll change his mind as he's a very important member of this, rapidly declining community. Just come back Francis and start a project on Rangoon !!!! Steve