projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
24-02-2009
48 post(s)
This link is specially intended to Francis. It is about beauty, and recognition. I hope this [i]long[/i] story helps you to gain some self confidence (as if you were needing it...) and to never, ever delete any photograph again (ok, that's only me dreaming). [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html]Beauty[/url] Best Gal edited by galeota on 24/02/2009
25-02-2009
137 post(s)
If only I'd seen this performance. I heard of this before, yet, still I wonder how humans can be so un-----human. Very few can see the simple beauty without being told that what they are looking at is beautiful. There is a story; when Beethoven was descending into his deafness. Ludwig was walking with a friend on retreat, when the friend pointed out the beautiful melody of a flute in the distance....so disturbed that he could not hear the notes floating above, Beethoven sank into a months long depression. He, Beethoven, did not hear that song, yet the very thought of a melody unheard was enough to depress a great genious. Sometimes you must hear without ears and see without eyes and trust that very few know what beauty really is...
04-03-2009
180 post(s)
[quote=galeota]This link is specially intended to Francis. It is about beauty, and recognition. I hope this [i]long[/i] story helps you to gain some self confidence (as if you were needing it...) and to never, ever delete any photograph again (ok, that's only me dreaming). [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html]Beauty[/url] Best Gal edited by galeota on 24/02/2009[/quote] Thanks, Gal, I am deeply touched by this entry which I have just come across. Great, sad story. Of course the young man in question is a true genius and one of the top performers in the world, whereas I am an inconsistent dilettante AT BEST! Still the lesson is not lost on me... As for my present quandary - yes there was a contretemps recently, mostly my own damn fault to be honest. Silly really. But now, back in Japan I am confronted with a double problem, both environmental and technical. On the one hand (and this is not news to anyone who's been following my little picture stories since 2005), Japan is not a very happy place, the Japanese street is a long poker-faced carpet of often closed faces that freeze you in your tracks before you can click the shutter, as you would before a long funeral procession. It is a nation in daily mourning for a corpse whose name no one can recall ;o) And that was in normal, more prosperous times! Now that the global tsunami has hit these shores, the faces are even more closed and tense and I honestly can't find the heart to shoot - I am paralyzed by the low grade fever of negativity that permeates my hood. SO I got hold of a Nokton 35mm F1.2 lens and I decided to head for the night spots of Tokyo tlo record the other side of the current nightmare - the drinking and desperate cavorting, the attempt at Carpe Diem that is a reaction to the gloom. And that will take time. On the other hand, technically I feel increasingly hampered by the rangefinder - so much time spent trying to nail focus, so that you get "made" by your subjects before you can get a shot off half the time. I'm toying with buying another DSLR, to be able to respond faster and "get the shot". Also I have felt (not from everyone) that my rangefinder pics were perhaps not as accessible or pleasing to people in general as my earlier EOS shots. Thanks again - great story! edited by Furachan on 05/03/2009