projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
14-11-2007
111 post(s)
First, hello:) Yiu may know me from TE..a little place in cyberspace:) As some of you have figured out Ive most likely stopped posting there. I was overwhelmed with the amount of work required to keep at that place. The points race...and the lack of focus on stories and projects. Very different place this one. The other thing was that I saw no direction on TE. It became bloated with thousands of photos, thousands of members...it became too much. So my question is what you guys see as the future of this place. I assume we share one thing, even though our styles and apporaches differ: we want to put together larger bodies of work that says something, be it travel photography or documentary or whatever. So far I love the small size of this place. Simon said that the hardest thing about starting here is the intimidation. I dont feel that. Infact the opposite: im excited to be here because the level of work here is much better than on TE and that is probably because of its small size. The photos dont zip by like crazy. Thats now. But what about the future? Is there a goal to gather good photographers, into a single entity? Will this be membership by invitation, membership by application or simply anyone joining? I think that its much easier to define the goal while this is a young place. Is there such a goal? Would this ever morph into a platform to launch some of us into a CAREER doing this? Reading the exhibition announcement it seems that such an idea may be forming. Any ideas? What are your hopes for this place?
14-11-2007
post(s)
Ok, since you call for our hopes, I’ll hop in to express mine. - I hope this site will live a long, long life - I hope it will reach a wide variety of people from around the world. - I hope, like me, that the creators of this site believe in mixtures of cultures, colours, races, religions - I hope this site won’t become a selective sort of VIP (only in their pervert minds) place, but a privileged space for a dynamic debate focusing on quality and helping members to become capable of good criticism also on their own work - I hope this site will evolve into a community where people/characters are nourished through photography rather than a place to inflate the egos of those in need for praise - I hope the creators of this site will manage, somehow, to keep a low pace in the rhythm of the site, allowing written exchanges to be made in an atmosphere of reflexion or friendship (not excluding debate or polemics by any means) rather than in a journalistic (at best) low quality style - I hope the low pace also applies to the rhythm of photographs posted: one image per day is already too much - I hope not to find people eager and impatient to show their work, posting 30 pics/month and closing 3 simultaneous projects in the same laps of time: I for a fact WON’T comment all their pictures and my best goodwill about their work will probably be fed up quickly by the flood of their posts - I hope members make an effort to show, from time to time, original work (to be found on Holik only) and not always pictures that are already posted in 10 other sites on the web - I hope this site won’t ever have the launch of careers as a main target (sorry for the lack of ambition) - I hope this place of exchange won’t ever turn into a sort of exclusive photographer’s niche, neither private neither professional - I hope this site won’t ever turn into a photography agency - I hope…the Holik managers will create a sort of live forum allowing members to discuss online like a chat… That’ll be all for the moment folks. I go back to my windmills, my good friend Sancho Pança and the Queen of my heart, Dulcinea.
14-11-2007
8 post(s)
...and that's exactly why members shouldn't have many projects open at the same time, you cannot follow the workflow and then browsing the projects gallery will be like browsing the galleries on other website that I will not mention, you will have to dive into thousands of pictures and you will miss the point... Opening a project for showing a single image is not the aim I think, not being able to open a new project before having 5 (or whatever) pictures inside the previous one is quite a good idea...
14-11-2007
111 post(s)
I fully agree. Personally I plan never to start a project that isnt already finished, if you know what I mean. This is I believe the big difference between this place and TE, and we should take advantage of this. Thats actually what I want to get most out of this place: the focus on projects.
16-11-2007
180 post(s)
One thing hat strikes me right away and Ive just opened a thread int he general Forum about it, is we are all people shooters here. I think i's worth acknowledging that. We were once in a haried minority now we're a community of folks who shoot people pictures (different though they may be). I hope: a) We keep that focus, that tension if you will b) We see a few Nukes going off sometime soon - keep people like me on their toes ;o) c) We all learn to put together tightly knit "reportages" instead of just culling together past hits under a haphazrd umbrealla (like I'm doing right now, eh, Yan? ;o) d) We go more and more in depth with our critiques, really down to the nitty gritty because there is a hell of a lot of talent here and we should share and learn from each other, not just "praise" without saying why. That's about it really. Long live Photoholik!
16-11-2007
8 post(s)
Hum this is not why I meant Francis, a project can be anything which links the pictures together, "umbrellas" could be one, "tokyo living" could be one... I just wanted to say that this is not interesting to have 10 projects with a single pictures inside, it would be nicer to have a few projects with a few pictures included.
16-11-2007
180 post(s)
[quote=yanseiler]Hum this is not why I meant Francis, a project can be anything which links the pictures together, "umbrellas" could be one, "tokyo living" could be one... I just wanted to say that this is not interesting to have 10 projects with a single pictures inside, it would be nicer to have a few projects with a few pictures included.[/quote] Sorry, Yan, I meant to refer to what Gal said: "I hope members make an effort to show, from time to time, original work (to be found on Holik only) and not always pictures that are already posted in 10 other sites on the web", and I immediately felt guilty, you know...;o) must be that Catholic upbringing, either that or something I ate ;o) Wrong reference, sorry!
16-11-2007
post(s)
[i]I meant to refer to what Gal said[/i] You know perfectly what I meant. Original work [b]from time to time [/b] I said, because I also would like to post some pics I have already posted elsewhere. Besides, I don't have enough original work to show exclusively in this site. You don't have to feel guilty, this was not intended to you personally as I was only expressing [b]my hopes[/b] for me included.
16-11-2007
111 post(s)
I wasnto going to start 2 projects at once but Francis talked me into it. I agree though that too many open at once isnt good. Also as far as I go from now on my shooting is event oriented and I dont plan on doing umrella themes. I think forcing oneself to do that is really a good learning curve.
16-11-2007
180 post(s)
[quote=jinju]I wasnto going to start 2 projects at once but Francis talked me into it. I agree though that too many open at once isnt good. Also as far as I go from now on my shooting is event oriented and I dont plan on doing umrella themes. I think forcing oneself to do that is really a good learning curve.[/quote] Aw shucks, fellas! Only one week in and already everything is my fault ;o))) Oh and by the way, if you get a chance check out Rafal's first pic in the color Korean wedding series. It's a dandy! That was god advice I gave him... all those little Tae Kwan Doers in BW... you need to change gears once in a while ;o)
16-11-2007
111 post(s)
Once I finish the wedding theme Ill show you a Presbyterian church choir's rehearsal...then some fireworks:)
20-11-2007
46 post(s)
First of all, I am here to learn. Sorry if this seems naive or junior stuff, but that's the truth. If that isn't the purpose here - at least one of them - please let me know now and I'll go away with no false expectations. I don't tend to like "exhibition" sites when comments are useless (like pbase for example) or other Portuguese sites of the same caliber of TE but where the comments are a complete praising narrative. TE is really the only place I found that can offer you good criticism (if you know how to filter the useless comments). What I would like to see here is true criticism, true knowledge, true help on giving you a right direction. I'll not participate in another site that doesn't offer me that. To a repository of pictures, we already have pbase and others who have more public impact than ph (for obvious reasons). I like the project oriented vision of this site, but I agreed with Simon when he explained the advantage of having also an ability to comment on single pictures. To be honest, I still believe there's no point of commenting a picture in the context of the project without having a clear idea of what the project will be. If we decide that projects are all that matters here, then in my opinion there must be an ability to hide the pictures until the project reaches a certain threshold. Or do as Luko is planning to do it and only comment the pictures after the project is done. One thing is crucial. We have to decide that and live with that. Or we focus on projects or we have both choices. But if we do, don't tell me I am not allowed to critique a single as a single... l.
20-11-2007
111 post(s)
If we ever stop learning, that would be bad. We are all here to learn. Im just asking what you see from PH. Will it be a continuation of TE? In that case why not stay on TE? The move to focusing on stories is good, in theaory, it still has to be reflected in the work and comments, but that should come (we are still commenting on singles as if its TE much of the time). Im just suggesting that there might be a way to make this something more than what TE already offers. Learning is great, but can we go somewhere new with PH WHILE we are learning?
20-11-2007
290 post(s)
one thing we should remind please dont focus to much on other site. before a project have been finished, why not comment a picture one by one ? is it not a pleasure to comment a picture ? why we should not do it ? we will be able to comment a project even this one is not finish. we have 2 options to comment: one is the picture / one is the project this is 2 different way to see a work. a comment on a project can be changed in the future, when this project will have more pics. because the vision of the project need more time till this one will be done. Everybody is free to comment as he like, a pics, a project, why we should be that strict. we know that we should work to make the site more attractive. but also remember something, that a project is made with pictures, and every picture is unique, and on same time should live with other. maybe the name "project" is a little bit disturbing for some of you. we can also call this a mini exhibition, a reportage, a performance. i have read on the forum, that some of you were effraid that HOLIK can turn like some other site. NO WAY !! we wont be a trash for photography. There is 2 way to be a member on HOLIK 1/ with invitation, that mean we will try to choice to make this site always creative. 2/ all members have to send with the inscription a folder with few pictures. ok last thing before i go to my siam dream, HOLIK is just starting, and like a good wine, he need time. what i can suggest from now is to take your time to post, no need to rush. edited by flydragon on 20/11/2007
01-12-2007
180 post(s)
Let me just add my sincere support to your words, Simon. The individual commentary on pics (provided it is linked somehow to the overall effort in progress) is both a blessing to the photographer, as it helps guide him through the treacherous jungle of project work and, yes, FUN as you say, a simple pleasure, an act of friendship. What could possibly be wrong with that? I am grateful for advice already received from Jinju, say, which I found tremendously elpful and...timely. I myself have butted in with advice as to flow and content with several members, and they seemed none the worse for wear ;o) I am with you here all the way.
01-12-2007
111 post(s)
People shoud definitely comment on both the picture as a single and on the photo as it fits into a growing series. I too have received very good advice while my TKD series has been growing and it lead me to not only rething some images Ive already uploaded but also to go specifically out today to fill in some gaps in the way I want the ending of it to be. Its not a fast moving site, images sit on the first page for days so it really shouldnt be tough to comment on them.