projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
12-02-2008
111 post(s)
What do you regret doing or not doing photographically speaking? For me it has to be not having my camera with me during my wife's labor and my son's birth. Not to bring up the self proclaimed king of getting in close, but Polonaise does have some really good photos of this sort of thing over on the now almost bottomed out OTHER website. I really wish I could have shot that process, especially as Im turning the camera more on my very immediate surroundings. Im curious about yourself, what do you regret when it comes to your photography?
12-02-2008
180 post(s)
I regret that I burned all my bridges with TE: For all it's shortcomings it was a lively place with a constant stream of new friends. Perhaps "beige" is warmer than "grey". I regret that I went through so many cameras rather than learning to familiarize myself well with just the one. I regret I didn't move to the rangefinder earlier: it's a revelation, trust me. I regret the vulgar overuse of bokeh in so many of my shots (look at Webb sometime - he doesn't go below F5.6, and it pays!) I regret uploading way too much, hoping to score big with readers instead of concentrating on "quality". I regret that I deleted so much that was pretty decent and kept in so much that was cr@p, though popular:applause:. I regret my over-dependence on "hip shots":guns: so much of the time, even though Magnum's pages are strewn with same... I regret not having the patience to stay with one subject for any length of time, working all the angles. Finally I regret not being a better photographer:eek: edited by Kitano on 12/02/2008
12-02-2008
111 post(s)
TE was good once upon a time. Now its a shadow of its former self. Go through it, see for yourself. I didnt delete all my photos because I think my wife would ask me why I did it and then Id feel guilty for doing it, so Ill leave them there. Plus lots of people did comment on what I put there, Id feel bad for them having wasted their time. I might have no love for TE left but the people who commented there are a different matter...even if most are gone now anyway... Nobody is good enough in their own minds, everyone has self doubts. Even Webb. Im sure.
12-02-2008
142 post(s)
[quote=Kitano]I regret that I burned all my bridges with TE: For all it's shortcomings it was a lively place with a constant stream of new friends. Perhaps "beige" is warmer than "grey.[/quote] I think that was a mistake too... I mailed you immediately after. Not everything was wrong, more than half of the Holiks are still posting on TE. At least we could have a laugh or two... (on guru you-know-who, whose mouth is currently foaming with sourness stupidity...). [quote=Kitano]I regret I didn't move to the rangefinder earlier: it's a revelation, trust me.[/quote] Until you try the 6*6 format... Nah, you'll see there are ups and downs, sometimes you think you cannot afford photographically to use both systems, because they are so different shooting wise. [quote=Kitano]I regret that I went through so many cameras rather than learning to familiarize myself well with just the one. I regret the vulgar overuse of bokeh in so many of my shots (look at Webb sometime - he doesn't go below F5.6, and it pays!) I regret my over-dependence on "hip shots":guns: so much of the time, even though Magnum's pages are strewn with same... [/quote] COME ON, you're telling us you regret being that furachan guy... don't ever say that, you showed great photos, we had wonderful times comenting them... and you know what, Webb bores me often : no sense of humor at all. [quote=Jinju]Not to bring up the self proclaimed king of getting in close but XXXXXXXX (censored) does have some really good photos of this sort of thing over on the now almost bottomed out OTHER website. [/quote] Oh puleeeeze, Rafal, don't bring that loser up... he's taking good care of bringing himself to nowhere. I reckon he might have say maximum 8 good photos in his gallery, all from historical times, though I've hardly seen such a lame editing in such a long time of work (think he's showing the best out of more than 30 years!). Typically the kind who hasn't progressed an inch since (but maybe his self esteem is so high he REALLY thinks he's tops... and there are a few people to follow him blindly ...incredible, they even write like him, try to emulate his sloppy process alike, some will add scratches to their digital files and grammar mistakes to their captions also...).
12-02-2008
142 post(s)
Ok Me? My regrets? - Not even ONE picture of my dearest Vanuatu, even a snapshot... I wish I could show the country where I was raised to my daughter, my home, my friends, my schools,... - ONE picture I haven't taken because my best friend stood in front of me photographying... something else. Imagine that scene : a group of school kids, 6-7 years old on top of Montmartre hill in a narrow street, feb or march, they're all wearing warm caps, back in the Doisneau years. There's a stupid clown petrified like a statue (a street actor) and perched on a square box. The group of kids gets close to the clown, one of them laughs at him : suddenly the clown statue jumps off his box. The kids shout with terror, they back to the nearest wall. The clown turns his back with some kind of glorious pride and walks back to his box... ...and now the decisive moment : a small kid seems more decided while the rest of the group is still hugging each other, paralyzed with fear, I understand the situation and frame it, I know what will happen... the courageous kid walks to the silly clown (who has now turned his back) strectches his leg and readies to kick him in the ass, in the group I can notice a little girl whose mouth and eyes are wide open with surprize, she knows what will happen too... I have never seen his foot reaching the clown's back, only my friend's shoulders in the frame instead. - other than that, procrastinating a little too much (Select 500 and send them to LPImages, reply to my friend who wants to set up an exhib for a french consulate abroad, participate to all those contests every year say I will but in fact I don't, etc.)... my regrets all come from the back office work, not the shooting really.
13-02-2008
111 post(s)
Let me guess you had a Leica in your hand, Luko...those are solidly built. I would figure another of your regrets would be not hitting your friend in the head with it. Reason #1 why I never photograph with others.
13-02-2008
180 post(s)
[quote=Jinju]Not to bring up the self proclaimed king of getting in close but XXXXXXXX (censored) does have some really good photos of this sort of thing over on the now almost bottomed out OTHER website. [/quote] [b]Luko [/b]wrote: Oh puleeeeze, Rafal, don't bring that loser up... he's taking good care of bringing himself to nowhere. I reckon he might have say maximum 8 good photos in his gallery, all from historical times, though I've hardly seen such a lame editing in such a long time of work (think he's showing the best out of more than 30 years!). Typically the kind who hasn't progressed an inch since (but maybe his self esteem is so high he REALLY thinks he's tops... and there are a few people to follow him blindly ...incredible, they even write like him, try to emulate his sloppy process alike, some will add scratches to their digital files and grammar mistakes to their captions also...).[/quote] [b]Kitano [/b]says: Let me bring up a priceless anecdote about Mr "G". He once uploaded a picture of a tiger at the zoo shot through the bars of the cage with a telephoto lens and he sold it as "HOW [b]CLOSE [/b]CAN YOU GET!" Uh...sure... edited by Kitano on 13/02/2008
13-02-2008
123 post(s)
My regrets: - start film photo too lately - not having a proper & decent B/W lab to experiment films development & process my own prints - like someone here, take the time to submit photo to some contests - cannot make my mind for projects - have tons of digital photo not yet processed - take more street photo - not owning a camera body that perfectly exposes my photo - be a better photog and many more ... edited by ALSOM on 13/02/2008
17-02-2008
6 post(s)
[i][/i] Simple - taking out a good twenty years or more away from developing my own creative work and interests in photography especially.......and not spending more time in a studio. edited by kaparu2 on 17/02/2008
17-02-2008
3 post(s)
My biggest regrets?? -All those trips I took before I started developing a photographic conscience: specially Turkey 1999, Balkans 2000, and the biggest regret of all: Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgistan 2001. India 2002 could have been better but the conscience had arrived so it was a step on my learning process. -Not having sold one single image so far. -Not knowing were to begin in order to start selling some stuff. -Not being technically good enough yet. -Not having won the Euromillions yet. When I do, I will have time to look through all the websites in my life in detail (which I cant do) plus I will be able to organize my own photoworksops with photographers I admire.
18-02-2008
89 post(s)
[quote=rbcy1974]My biggest regrets?? -All those trips I took before I started developing a photographic conscience: specially Turkey 1999, Balkans 2000, and the biggest regret of all: Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgistan 2001. India 2002 could have been better but the conscience had arrived so it was a step on my learning process.[/quote] same here, there was a time that I had a chance to travel and would have been in a position to show an interesting point of view because of the circumstances surrounding. Too bad had no interest in photography at that time. not being brave enough to be a good street photographer, at least not in Toronto.
18-02-2008
89 post(s)
[quote=jinju]What do you regret doing or not doing photographically speaking? For me it has to be not having my camera with me during my wife's labor and my son's birth. Not to bring up the self proclaimed king of getting in close, but Polonaise does have some really good photos of this sort of thing over on the now almost bottomed out OTHER website. I really wish I could have shot that process, especially as Im turning the camera more on my very immediate surroundings. Im curious about yourself, what do you regret when it comes to your photography?[/quote] that I don't regret at all, the best moment of my life, no need to see it on paper, I can see every frame in my mind. edited by Homerhomer on 18/02/2008
18-02-2008
89 post(s)
[quote=Luko]Ok Me? My regrets? - Not even ONE picture of my dearest Vanuatu, even a snapshot... I wish I could show the country where I was raised to my daughter, my home, my friends, my schools,... - ONE picture I haven't taken because my best friend stood in front of me photographying... something else. Imagine that scene : a group of school kids, 6-7 years old on top of Montmartre hill in a narrow street, feb or march, they're all wearing warm caps, back in the Doisneau years. There's a stupid clown petrified like a statue (a street actor) and perched on a square box. The group of kids gets close to the clown, one of them laughs at him : suddenly the clown statue jumps off his box. The kids shout with terror, they back to the nearest wall. The clown turns his back with some kind of glorious pride and walks back to his box... ...and now the decisive moment : a small kid seems more decided while the rest of the group is still hugging each other, paralyzed with fear, I understand the situation and frame it, I know what will happen... the courageous kid walks to the silly clown (who has now turned his back) strectches his leg and readies to kick him in the ass, in the group I can notice a little girl whose mouth and eyes are wide open with surprize, she knows what will happen too... I have never seen his foot reaching the clown's back, only my friend's shoulders in the frame instead. - other than that, procrastinating a little too much (Select 500 and send them to LPImages, reply to my friend who wants to set up an exhib for a french consulate abroad, participate to all those contests every year say I will but in fact I don't, etc.)... my regrets all come from the back office work, not the shooting really.[/quote] walking downtown Toronto I came across a wooden statue of a native indian, was hoping to get some cheezy americana type of shot, waiting quite a long time for the right scenery... it was late afternoon and it got darker, all of a sudden some first nation poeple appeared carrying their flag followed by some lost native souls, the wooden statue was in a perfect place, scenery was awesome,.... didn;t change the f stop, got too dark and photos were too blurry to see anything, only noticed that when the film was developed few weeks later.
18-02-2008
post(s)
[quote=Homerhomer][quote=rbcy1974]My biggest regrets?? -All those trips I took before I started developing a photographic conscience: specially Turkey 1999, Balkans 2000, and the biggest regret of all: Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgistan 2001. India 2002 could have been better but the conscience had arrived so it was a step on my learning process.[/quote] same here, there was a time that I had a chance to travel and would have been in a position to show an interesting point of view because of the circumstances surrounding. Too bad had no interest in photography at that time. not being brave enough to be a good street photographer, at least not in Toronto.[/quote] Most of my trips were also made before I really took interest in photography. Curiously, I do not have the slightest regret. I have the feeling, somehow, that it would only have increased the number of pathetic photographs in my hardrive. Besides, I have gently grown to nourish doubts about travelling only through the prism of a lens. I got sometimes the feeling, while on TE, that some photographers aren't really travellers (the contrary can also be true, of course), and going abroad becomes just an excuse to take pics more than the translation of a real interest in knowing different countries/cultures/people. Some photographers return home so overloaded with gigabytes of images, that I simply do not believe they have seen anything than the viewfinder of their camera. I like the idea of not having photographic regrets and I intend to keep it that way. Moments can be [i]seen or registered[/i] in many other ways.
19-02-2008
290 post(s)
GAL SAID I like the idea of not having photographic regrets and I intend to keep it that way. Moments can be [i]seen or registered[/i] in many other ways. I totaly agree with you Gal, and also i should hehehe or my life would made with million regrets ;) when i was around 14 year old i was starting to take picture, with my mom instamatic kodak , and after around 16 i got a reflex Zenith my regret at this time was to invisible man, and i could take picture from everybody in the street.
19-02-2008
24 post(s)
My regrets, sometimes I wish I could have some chip implanted and every time I wink it would take a picture of that what I saw. But then again if that was possible I probably would be too scared to actually do it. Untaken pictures sure I have them, think we all have. Some moments remain a simple memory, some grow even bigger to an anecdote like I read here and some are simply forgotten, that’s fine by me. But my regret is one of a different kind. When I was a year of 16 there was this very old woman down the street of our town, who became a friend of the family. She had travelled all over the world and took loads of photo’s. She had 1000’s of diaslides perfectly organised in a room of her house. When she found out I was interested in photography she said she was too old and too blind to use it and she gave me her camera and lenses, it was and old pentax, with the loudest klick in the world. I played for 2, 3 years with that camera then I bought a leica. She had no family, so when she died (soon after she gave me the camera)we had to clean out the house etc. as every thing went to Unicef. We had few time as these house was already sold. Now my biggest regret is that I didn’t take care of those diaslides. The photo’s she took where not much more then regular tourist snaps. But they where snaps of Holland before the war. Asia and south America 1950 or 60. At least they could have shown us how the world has changed since then. How many times I have not kicked myself for not packing all the positives and negatives into the car and bring that all to [i]the Dutch Photo Archive[/i] so I would at least know they are save somewhere.. But I didn’t understand the value of a photographers stock, nor the existence of the Dutch photo archive until years later. Where they are now I don’t know, maybe they went to the trash and up in smoke, maybe someone else found them and saw the value of a time archive and they are save somewhere… I hope the last. Jorrit