projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
02-02-2008
340 post(s)
Hi Holikers ! You can now see a new version of your website. Slideshow, reorder, and so on... please tell me if you have a bug !
03-02-2008
46 post(s)
Hi Steph, what about a "what's new" post to tell us what was implemented... Thanks for your effort, l.
03-02-2008
290 post(s)
bravo !!!! c cool
03-02-2008
111 post(s)
How do I replace a photo in the draft zone?
03-02-2008
290 post(s)
When you open your project Rafal under every picture now you have edit/delete/draft but becareful i dont know from now if we can move a picture from draft to project ? i should ask Steph if the option is online
03-02-2008
340 post(s)
Draft is open. Thanx Gal. Eric please note that.
03-02-2008
49 post(s)
Gal: you are right I shall rephrase it in the French version and check the anglish version as well... Jinju: There is a online command that comes close to the edit/ delete command under the photo transferred to draft but for some reason, stef has not yet added this command as of now..but it is coming soon... TO ALL MEMBERS : The appraisal icons have been changed for the images that are posted. You now have 3 icons plus 1 nuke. We have decided that all previous semi-full icons would be automaticvally transferred to the new MOVE icon. Should that not represent your original intention, please feel free to re-edit the photo and re-appraise it as wished. Sorry for the inconvenience.
03-02-2008
340 post(s)
[quote=eleparc] Jinju: There is a online command that comes close to the edit/ delete command under the photo transferred to draft but for some reason, stef has not yet added this command as of now..but it is coming soon... [/quote] this is ok now... normally
04-02-2008
111 post(s)
I still dont see it. I put 10 photos in the draft zone and all I get are Edit and Delete commands. So I clicked on edit but there's no place to upload the new version there.
04-02-2008
340 post(s)
I think that you have uploaded a picture on the same day. The fact is that when you want to put a picture "online", you mustn't upload a new pic the same day. Am I right?
04-02-2008
111 post(s)
I thought that so before uploading one today I checked....and I couldnt do it. Has anyone done it yet? Also, is it that was can replace one photo a day or drag one photo a day out of the draft zone. Can I for example replace 10 photos at once and then over time bring one photo a day out of the draft zone? Also, I wish you guys increased the limit. What I mean either allow us to replace 2 a day OR one a day + a usual upload. If we do replace it and drag it out of the draft zone does it appear at the top of the gallery or does it stay in its place? Anyway, I put 10 photos in the draft zone already:)
04-02-2008
49 post(s)
Hi Rafal, Our idea is that one member should be allowed to upload one photo a day maximum, be it a reload or a new image. Normally, you can move as many as 10 photos in one day to the draft area if you wish to do so, but it will take 10 days to replace the photos inside the gallery. Photoholik does not want to compete with TE where people publish on a daily basis. This intends to be more a quality site than a quantity one... i.e a site for photographers who think in terms of projects more than single photos... And that takes time and thinking on our part... Hence this strict rule of just one upload a day. Does that answer your questions?
06-02-2008
8 post(s)
you could have had the same clique on trekearth who could critique each other with a focus on stories and in other words themes.. i personally wouldn't want to upload photographs as yet because i'd want to give all that i have before taking something from other people. once i upload the whole photostory people can give me critiques on the photostory or the individual photographs.. whatever they like... but knowing that half the time my internet doesn't work ad also i'm quite bored of spending all day everyday on the internet, i don't think i'l be able to complete a photostory . plus human that i am my enthusiasm to continue with the photostory will definitely die out by the 3rd 4th day. i think if photographers here want to learn how to build their photostories they also have to learn how to see and read photostories.. and i think if people are able to present photostories in whole, it's not only going to help the presenters but also the people who're seeing and critiquing them. i suggest that you allow photographers to upload whatever number of photographs in a project as he or she wants to. but don't allow him or her to upload for those many number of days.
06-02-2008
8 post(s)
this will have a two fold impact. it will in the long and even in the medium run, keep the traffic of the photographs the same as the 1 per day upload process. secondly it's also going to force the photographer to think more about his or her photo story on the spot. if you want to upload 50 photographs in your project. then you won't be ale to upload for 49 more days.. so that's going to discourage people from uploading in excess UNNECESSARILY. at the same time photographers will also have so much more freedom in playing with their story before uploading it. i think this method is tighter and more disciplined than the one that exists here AND IN TREKEARTH. it's very important to get the rough draft out fully first and then work on it. but till then i just see the site as a different version of trekearth, only different in the number of photographers..
06-02-2008
24 post(s)
Sohrab first of all nice to see you again :o) But I couldn’t disagree with you more hahaha… First: you talk about a photostory, which I believe is the most difficult thing to achieve in the world of photography. And 9 out of 10 times will look more like a manual then an interesting project if I may be frank. As it would mean you have to come with 10-15 good photo’s taken from 1 event or place. For me that’s impossible, 1 or 2 is the max. and that if I’m lucky. Does that mean I am misplaced in photoholik? I don’t believe so. I’m under the impression that the site is about projects which is 1 step back. A project [i]can[/i] be a photostory, but it can as well be a series of photo’s linked together by an underlying theme. So if you are afraid your enthusiasm will die out after a few days in the project you simply chose a to narrow concept to follow. A wider theme will give you plenty of space to breath and to play with the project. Secondly you suggest to allow photographers to upload whatever number of photographs in a project as he or she wants to but don't allow him or her to upload for those many number of days. Now there’s the second thing we disagree on, I personally see this site not as my online portfolio but more in the social way. Almost every day I go to the site to see what people post, give some comments get some feedback. Now if you post your 50 photo’s in 1 day, that would mean I comment on your project and we are done talking for the next 2 months. I could have gone to your website for that. Now there is 1 thing we agree on ( so we can sit down together and raise our glasses:buddies: to us being right) I also see a lot similarities with TE, but only the TE I like to remember… :violin: cheers Jorrit
06-02-2008
142 post(s)
Right, I couldn't agree more than to what Sohrab said... well in fact it's already written in my intro, isn't it... And I also understand his reservatsion about uploading something here. The upload one post per day system enforces a certain pace that isn't suited to projects : - on the personal side, I can't keep up the motivation on a day to day basis to tell a story. I have never waited the day after to finish a book I like. I had trouble finishing a 6 photos project, upload/stay/wait/upload/stay/wait and so on... hence, I feel can't upload anything else. A procrastinating professional knows what it is about, believe me, and I know Sohrab is. - secondly it's very hard to follow a photographer work or project everyday... you get lost man... once again, I believe you have all taken year long holidays. I just can't understand. Jorrit, there is nothing here about uploading a whole portfolio, it's about giving and receiving comments on a certain object, which is called a [b]project basis[/b]. How can you decently give some comments on something that isn't finished yet? Sohrab is right to point that the thing we can learn here is how to make a story (and maybe we could also take the benefits of what he learnt from Antoine d'Agata in Angkor photo festival). Now for the one post per day pace, look to what it leads : Jinju : more than 70 photos, Simpn and Fancis : more than 40 photos. they have already uploaded the equivalent of what the average photographer will put on his own website as a portfolio. Yanseiler and me: 7 photos IN THE SAME TIME. I'm not saying that neither Yan or me should be taken as models, but as for the portfolio numbers, there you have. And you know the best part : I don't have any time nor urge to look at their past projects. It's dead meat to me. AGAIN the freakin' daily rythm : I really don't enjoy it, it's like going to work... edited by Luko on 06/02/2008
06-02-2008
137 post(s)
I'm right there with Luko and Sohrab on this; Sohrab's uploading suggestions I think are very good (10 today, wait 9 days). In no way do I think this will become less of a social site...you can still comment on photos if you wish. I just find myself feeling the blur factor...the shots start looking alike. Too many, too fast in some staccato rhythm. Better to finalize your concept and present it as a whole, that was the point I thought. Right now things are insane for me, I haven't spent a day taking photos in...maybe a month; which is a long time compared to my usual routines. I haven't stopped processing and printing things that I've done though. I just don't have to time to visit every day...and definately no time to write comments to most photos. I'm working on some things but I feel as though they should be presented as a whole as opposed to broken apart. This doesn't mean I won't participate, but it will just be spread quite thin.
07-02-2008
290 post(s)
ok many suggestion here. i will reply short. first we are working to change a little the upload hmm i mean we are thinking about a new solution. but you all should know talking is a good thing and easy, but we have a lot work to change this then be patient. also i would like to remind you how look Pbase, there people can upload all picture they want in one day !! hoo that great, but where is the life in this website ?? nothing human there. people just upload million picture and that all. you seems all forget how its good to comment a picture, even we can comment a project when he is finish or in process. a project is made with pictures and every picture is different, for me i alway enjoy to comment one picture. I would love thx those who alway compare HOLIK to TE.
07-02-2008
46 post(s)
I already said that previously and I guess I will say it again... There are clearly two groups of people here at Holik: the ones who see projects as a story and the ones who see projects as... projects. :) I feel there are a lot of story oriented thoughts on this site without a clear clarification if it's really that what we want here. Simon, one of the brains behind this, has said many times that a project can be anything, just like a book, a mini-exhibition, a collection of pictures with a strong link between them. Luko, Gal, Sohrab talk about stories, and for me, that's an whole different thing. Honestly, this really should be clarified. No need to stay on a site that don't match our expectations. We have so many things to do nowadays, so many sites where you try to be active, so many communities to help build... Is Holik about projects, is it about photostories, is about the people who form this community, is it just about learning...? What is it really about and what do we do in order to enforce that vision? And understanding the real core of Holik is crucial. We don't want this to be another TrekEarth, but right now, that's what it seems to be... Only in a very reduced scale. Projects or stories are clearly not the strongest point of interest of this site. And the way the uploading and critiquing is made is perhaps contributing to that. Where are our thoughts about critiquing projects? Why was Gal's critiquing form never mentioned again? Look at the total number of critiques to projects... Do we really think people are here because of the projects? Unless you enforce that vision with tools, Holik will fail on passing that message. Of course, this is only my opinion. Concerning Sohrab's comments, I quite agree on his uploading proposal. If we think about stories, there's truly no other way to do it. If we think about projects, well there is, but I guess it wouldn't harm uploading more that one photo a day. If we want to concentrate this site on projects, why can't we upload an entire project at a time and ask for critiques within its unity? Then we know we will be unable to upload for x days... But then again, Jorrit is also right. Holik is also supposed to be a community. Pbase, a folder oriented website is completely dead in terms of community. Comments are laughable, nobody knows you, learning is equal to null. TE is the perfect community, but it's really not about photography... So we all know it's almost impossible to create a middle term website, because when this growths it has a huge chance of turning into one of them... Jorrit and Simon are also right about the great ability to comment single pictures inside a project. Luko, for example, likes to comment entire projects and says that he will return to comment singles when the project is done. Does he really returns? Do the people who are story oriented really comment singles? I know that I am raising many questions here, but what I want you to think with me is a way to make Holik stronger. Honestly, after my first project, I thought about quiting the site till further notice. I don't see this taking a different direction from TE, I saw little effort to implement the suggestions we made, it's too small right now, too narrow minded (photographically speaking) and a bit pretentious. And I have the feeling that it can keep like this for months... Please tell me I am wrong... Luis
07-02-2008
290 post(s)
Luis thx for what you wrote but about the project you want the project look like a story ok make your story you want the project as a exhibition for graphic picture ok do it a project can have many faces and many way to show something why we should be so strict. some of you seems need strict rules; take it easy and enjoy the community. some here also seems happy to comment pictures, we try to make this site pleasant for many people not just for few of them whos seems often complain about the site now. Luis i am sad that you compare HOLIK to TE and sad you dont see any difference if you dont like HOLIK now, i hope you will like it later. ok you said there alot site like here u can upload and comunicate tell me some name please ? excepte the one we know.