projects . gallery . team project . forum . search . members . my space

/forum

User Message
22-01-2008
180 post(s)
Is it the cool grey background? Is it the MAGNUM-like feel of the thing? I don't really know the answer but one thing is for sure: Holik is turning into a monochrome gallery, those of us who consistently hoist the "colorist" flag are few and far between, grossly outnumbered. I just feel like stirring things up a bit, get a discussion going, so bear with me, okay? Why so many monochrome pictures even from people who, on the "other" site used to upload almost exclusively color shots? I'm just curious... Hey, maybe I should jump on board, sounds like a quick way to get taken "seriously" ;o)))
22-01-2008
24 post(s)
hi Francis, I think the choise for black and white is for alot of people here not really a choise,but rather a must as they scan b&w negatives and believe me few colors there ;-) I mainly shoot with and old Leica R3 on Tri X or Neopan. and scan the negative as right now i don't have a darkroom yet. And color in a wet darkroom is a mess and much to dark to work anyway. Besides that my idea usually is, if colors don't add much to a photo it can only distract. I tried alot of colorfilms but i missed the grain and if it had grain i didn't like it. And since there is no equivalent for a handprinted photo yet. I think to continue oldstyle for a while... Once i learn how to handle colorphotography like Simon or even half as good as that i'll give color a try again, until then i will monochrome the gallery some more... :woohoo: Jorrit
22-01-2008
137 post(s)
Go back in your hole Francis :loo: Color is for wussies! No, no...just teasing :poke: I must say I am with Jorrit here. First, I quite like the look of B&W in general. There are emotional attachments that I form when looking at an image translated into monotones. Second, I really like printing myself and it is much easier to do with B&W film as opposed to color; so that is a big plus. Nothing like getting your hands into the chemicals and watching the image form under a dark light...almost like the physical appeal of sculpture. I do like color, I shoot now and then with slide film. I just don't have a scanner that will scan slides and I don't have enough photos taken for it to matter in the context of PH. Third, I like grain...nothing like B&W grainy goodness. Back to my slavelike work :banghead: Chris
22-01-2008
180 post(s)
Okay. Okay. In both your cases (as with Sohrab when he finally decides to contribute), you have no choice as you're working in B/W analog film but... I would like to hear from digital folks who most likely shoot color and then convert, Please keep in mind that the majority of us come from a place where color was overwhelmingly the choice ) for good or for ill ;o) and the preponderance of monochrome here is striking to say the least. I also agree that color needs to be thought through and justified - I fully understand that. And I guess when I'm done wit these silly Thai holiday postcards, I'll get down too - dark gloom, moody, arty pics of Tokyo coming up, folks! If you can't beat them, join them I say! :buddies: edited by Kitano on 23/01/2008
24-01-2008
111 post(s)
Francis, its like asking "why color"? Shooting in color and converting has nothing to do with anything. People shoot color and convert because shooting in b/w in digital gives **** results. Its a technical reason, a matter of control in the conversion process. Color and b/w have different applications and when I shoot, YES in color, I shoot with b/w totally in mind. I choose situations, settings (not camera setings but locations etc), mood, etc that will then work in b/w. Why b/w? The most honest answer I guess is "because thats what I like".
24-01-2008
180 post(s)
Rafal, With all due respect, you are a genius at misunderstanding folk, and you've done it again. You reply to everything with an elementary lecture on photography! So let me clarify my argument so there is no misunderstanding: I don't give a rat's ass about the "conversion process". My point is this: the two fellas who replied to me first are both shooting film, B/W film, and so they are defending their choices on that ground - there is nothing I can say to that. I am curious however about those others who shoot digital, hence most likely in color first, but still decide to upload almost exclusively B/W on THIS site, as opposed to that OTHER site, where there was a lot more color, including from Holik members. I'm not making this up - I even talked to Simon about it. Look at any gallery page and it's all monochrome, man. That is not by chance, is it? So I'm asking, half seriously, half tongue in cheek: is this the deal - B/W is respectable and color is for postcards...? I've pretty much decided to work on a longish portrait of Tokyo, all BW. Like I say - you can't beat 'em, join 'em...;o)
24-01-2008
111 post(s)
My point is this: the two fellas who replied to me first are both shooting film, B/W film, and so they are defending their choices on that ground - there is nothing I can say to that. -------------------------------------- Thats fine but I really dont see an iota of difference between someone who shoots on bw film and someone who shoots in digital RGB with the intent to produce a b/w image in the end. The conversion process is crucial to this, why dismiss it so easily? As far as others, I cant say why, but for me this is the #1 reason. As far as WHY BW...for me its simply a matter of preference. I dont like color in my own work. Why? I just react stronger to b/w and its simplicity. It doesnt beat around the bush. Perhaps im not a romaticist. You are far more cinematic in your approach. I read your notes and you write them like you were writing an ode to a lover or something. For me thats not what interests me. Id be intersted to know who you admire as far as photographers go...Ive always been a fan of ugly, harsh and brutal stuff....can you imagine William Klein in color?